Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sand Blasting

Default Sand Blasting

I have the large 40lb Harbor Freight Sand Blasting cabinet (whichever one HF sold ~10+ years ago). It came with a bunch of clear plastic protectors to use inside the cabinet to keep the viewing window from fogging up from abrasive material flying around.

I'm thinking of replacing the gun with something better, as well as finding suitable clear protectors for the viewing window or even replacing the window with a glass(?) panel - assuming secondary blasting material won't scratch the glass..

Any experienced sand blasters out there that could recommend a really good gun, and what I should do with my viewing window (continue to use clear plastic protectors inside, or replace it with something better/etc?)
    Work hard play hard

When I built my blasting cabinet I used glass for the window, assuming that it would only get incidental sand hitting it. Wrong! It got hazy very quickly. I replaced it with another piece of glass and a plastic liner. The liner is just some kinda-hard plastic film/thin sheet I got on eBay or somewhere online (too long ago now). It has to be replaced regularly, but it's no big deal.

I have the same cabinet. I replaced my gun with a skat Blast gun and a foot controller. http://www.tptools.com/Skat-Blast-Hi....html?b=d*8027
    I also just use window pane glass I get from the local hardware store. Costs me like 2 bucks. So I just replace the glass with a new pane every so often.
    I would post some pictures but they are in my photobucket account being held for ransom and I refuse to pay the fees they want for hyperlinking.

3 Phase Lightbulb,

I have the HF bench top one that is older with the top as the access. I built a frame to hold glass instead of the plastic acrylic and use 2 pieces of glass 1/8" in a 1/4" frame and for a couple of dollars I replace the inside with the outside and rotate them in this manner. works well for the use I have. I do not do production work or use real coarse grit which makes it last OK for my use. Car parts and general use to clean and work on things in the shop are the duty of the blaster. .

I too have pic's captive in PB that I refuse to give into!!

TX
    Mr fixit for the family
    Chris
    Last edited by Mr Fixit; 01-11-2018 at 09:08 PM. Reason: Added comment.

When I got my Canablast Pressure style Blast cabinet I tryed those stick on things,had no luck at all with them.I installed new glass a couple years back and is time to rotate it,then I will discard it and replace with new glass.All I use is glass beads.

Quote Originally Posted by ncjeeper View Post
    I have the same cabinet. I replaced my gun with a skat Blast gun and a foot controller. http://www.tptools.com/Skat-Blast-Hi....html?b=d*8027
    I also just use window pane glass I get from the local hardware store. Costs me like 2 bucks. So I just replace the glass with a new pane every so often.
    I would post some pictures but they are in my photobucket account being held for ransom and I refuse to pay the fees they want for hyperlinking.
    The gun you linked to requires 25CFM and my compressor maxes out at 27CFM @ 90PSI so I'd rather not be operating near the max all the time.

I think this gun/kit would be good as an "upgrade" for my HF cabinet?

http://www.tptools.com/USA-Cabinet-G....html?b=d*8026
    Work hard play hard

Quote Originally Posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb View Post
    The gun you linked to requires 25CFM and my compressor maxes out at 27CFM @ 90PSI so I'd rather not be operating near the max all the time.

I think this gun/kit would be good as an "upgrade" for my HF cabinet?

With the vacuum running it makes my gloves very hard to maneuver with, obviously have too much suction, but I can see a clear advantage to using a foot pedal instead of a trigger on the gun, would make it a lot easier to maneuver around

Thanks for the link to tptools!

I just ordered this upgrade kit and some extra nozzles and screen protectors.

Work hard play hard

I installed a very fine (thin wire/small holes) brass screen to protect the glass. The glass doesn't get etched at all, but I need to turn off the room lights to see the parts being sandblasted (my Trinco cabinet has a light inside).

Trinco foot control and gun with carbide nozzle are of a really good quality.
    Last edited by MichaelP; 01-13-2018 at 02:20 AM.

I have used the HF cabinet at my FIL's shop.

Dust suction does mess with the gloves, but the biggest problem with the thing is that there is no decent screen for the media. I had to do the "blowback" deal* to clear the gun of crud a LOT, and it always seemed to be fluff and abraded bits that were so large that any sensible screen should have blocked them.

The actual nozzle seemed to work OK, I was cleaning paint and rust off of a metal part the last time I used it. The main issue seemed to be the relatively low volume of media that came through it. I think his 5 HP compressor would have kept up with a larger air volume, which would presumably have increased the flow of blasting media.

* Block the nozzle and pull the trigger to force air back thru the hose.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan