Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 67

Thread: Sand Blasting

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    East Coast, USA
    Posts
    6,967

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ken View Post
    For safety one should use safety glass in the windows not window glass. One time I had a part that was big and odd shaped I lost control of it moving around in the cabinet at work and it hit the glass and cracked it. If it would have been window glass it would have shared and the part would have hit me upside the head. somewhere I read to use tempered safety glass and it will last longer. Ken
    Clumsy Bastard
    Work hard play hard

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    741

    Default

    In this video, Dan Gelbart recommends using diamond-coated glass panels (as found in supermarket scanner checkouts) for blasting-cabinet windows.

    https://youtu.be/x7onZGqrYyY

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Woodinville, WA
    Posts
    9,088

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb View Post
    What brand of blasting media do you guys recommend? I think I used to just buy whatever HF offered. I think I used alum oxide IIRC but truly don't remember.
    I use glass bead; mostly HF 70-whatever mesh. Use their 25% discount coupon and is a a good deal, and plenty coarse enough for my use. If you are removing paint or other coatings AlOx is fine, but i wouldn't use it on precision parts or for my primary use - to remove tooling marks on Aluminum. I have 2 boxes of AlOx, but every time I "need it" I can't be bothered swapping out my glass bead. I really need to get some very fine glass (not available at HF); around here it's about $43 a box delivered.

    If you are into fine parts, consider soda. It's a "use once only" media so you don't just dump it in the bottom of the cabinet. TpTools has an add-on unit.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    East Coast, USA
    Posts
    6,967

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Euph0ny View Post
    In this video, Dan Gelbart recommends using diamond-coated glass panels (as found in supermarket scanner checkouts) for blasting-cabinet windows.

    https://youtu.be/x7onZGqrYyY

    YES, we need some links to panels now... Haven't been able to find them yet. The HF blasting cabinet looks like it has a 12"x24" panel.
    Work hard play hard

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    474

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb View Post
    Thanks for the link to tptools!
    Your welcome.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    474

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb View Post
    What brand of blasting media do you guys recommend? I think I used to just buy whatever HF offered. I think I used alum oxide IIRC but truly don't remember.
    I use the same stuff. I think is 70 grit. With their 20% off coupon its about the most affordable stuff for what I do.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    On the Oil Coast,USA
    Posts
    19,127

    Default

    These are the guns I use,they are made by Econoline and feature carbide nozzles and jets.Carbide nozzles will last for years-

    12 cfm @ 80psi but requires a foot control valve-

    https://www.mcmaster.com/#3283k69/=1b3j17i

    Plastic window film,I use tempered glass,but still use the film because the abrasive will frost the window over time anyway.

    https://www.mcmaster.com/#3283k13/=1b3j2au

    For abrasive,I have two cabinets,one with Black slag for coarse work/heavy removal rates,the other with glass beads.I get mine at the local Tractor Supply-

    https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...brasives?rfk=1

    They also carry glass beads,ground glass,AOX and Garnet.

    The pilot operated air control valve I use-

    https://www.automationdirect.com/adc...alves/AVS-5454

    Foot control valve-

    https://www.automationdirect.com/adc...es/CVS-5272-FP
    Last edited by wierdscience; 01-12-2018 at 03:12 PM.
    I just need one more tool,just one!

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    843

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb View Post


    looks great except one minor detail - how do you open the doors?

    I'm following this with interest. Let us know how that gun works out, I might consider one for my HF cabinets.

    The main trouble I've had with the HF guns is just finding appropriate replacement tips. Based on a tip (maybe from someone here?) I started making my own from UHMW; they last longer than the ceramic tips anyway since the abrasive doesn't seem to affect the UHMW much.

    I mounted a similar light inside my bigger cabinet like what you bought, except it's unsealed and the older flourescent. It gets some sand in the protective lens, but that doesn't seem to hurt it and it's easy enough to clean out anyway.

    I use 80 grit HF glass bead in one cabinet (gives a nice satin finish) and 120 grit aluminum oxide in the other for a finish with more bite. The glass bead is nice for finishing stainless parts, and the aluminum oxide is general purpose for most other stuff.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    East Coast, USA
    Posts
    6,967

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yondering View Post
    looks great except one minor detail - how do you open the doors?

    I'm following this with interest. Let us know how that gun works out, I might consider one for my HF cabinets.

    The main trouble I've had with the HF guns is just finding appropriate replacement tips. Based on a tip (maybe from someone here?) I started making my own from UHMW; they last longer than the ceramic tips anyway since the abrasive doesn't seem to affect the UHMW much.

    I mounted a similar light inside my bigger cabinet like what you bought, except it's unsealed and the older flourescent. It gets some sand in the protective lens, but that doesn't seem to hurt it and it's easy enough to clean out anyway.

    I use 80 grit HF glass bead in one cabinet (gives a nice satin finish) and 120 grit aluminum oxide in the other for a finish with more bite. The glass bead is nice for finishing stainless parts, and the aluminum oxide is general purpose for most other stuff.
    Ah yes, I haven't decided yet if the ~6-8" of door opening will be an issue yet. If it does become a problem I can temporarily move the cabinet out another foot or so/or until I can open the door wide enough. I found a picture of when I had this same cabinet setup in my old shop. I also use a HF dust collector to evacuate the dust (pneumatic air powered via the Venturi effect) which allows me to precisely control the amount of vacuum. IIRC it worked really well and was very quiet. Hey, it looks like Harbor Freight doesn't sell the pneumatic dust collector anymore.





    Last edited by 3 Phase Lightbulb; 01-12-2018 at 05:18 PM.
    Work hard play hard

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Long Island, N.Y.
    Posts
    2,538

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb View Post
    Ah yes, I haven't decided yet if the ~6-8" of door opening will be an issue yet. If it does become a problem I can temporarily move the cabinet out another foot or so/or until I can open the door wide enough.
    Add a piano hinge and a latch to the window to make it a top loader.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •