Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Sand Blasting

Quote Originally Posted by ken View Post
    For safety one should use safety glass in the windows not window glass. One time I had a part that was big and odd shaped I lost control of it moving around in the cabinet at work and it hit the glass and cracked it. If it would have been window glass it would have shared and the part would have hit me upside the head. somewhere I read to use tempered safety glass and it will last longer. Ken
    Clumsy Bastard
    Work hard play hard

In this video, Dan Gelbart recommends using diamond-coated glass panels (as found in supermarket scanner checkouts) for blasting-cabinet windows.

https://youtu.be/x7onZGqrYyY

Quote Originally Posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb View Post
    What brand of blasting media do you guys recommend? I think I used to just buy whatever HF offered. I think I used alum oxide IIRC but truly don't remember.
    I use glass bead; mostly HF 70-whatever mesh. Use their 25% discount coupon and is a a good deal, and plenty coarse enough for my use. If you are removing paint or other coatings AlOx is fine, but i wouldn't use it on precision parts or for my primary use - to remove tooling marks on Aluminum. I have 2 boxes of AlOx, but every time I "need it" I can't be bothered swapping out my glass bead. I really need to get some very fine glass (not available at HF); around here it's about $43 a box delivered.

If you are into fine parts, consider soda. It's a "use once only" media so you don't just dump it in the bottom of the cabinet. TpTools has an add-on unit.

Quote Originally Posted by Euph0ny View Post
    In this video, Dan Gelbart recommends using diamond-coated glass panels (as found in supermarket scanner checkouts) for blasting-cabinet windows.

https://youtu.be/x7onZGqrYyY

YES, we need some links to panels now... Haven't been able to find them yet. The HF blasting cabinet looks like it has a 12"x24" panel.
    Work hard play hard

Thanks for the link to tptools!
    Your welcome.

What brand of blasting media do you guys recommend? I think I used to just buy whatever HF offered. I think I used alum oxide IIRC but truly don't remember.
    I use the same stuff. I think is 70 grit. With their 20% off coupon its about the most affordable stuff for what I do.

These are the guns I use,they are made by Econoline and feature carbide nozzles and jets.Carbide nozzles will last for years-

12 cfm @ 80psi but requires a foot control valve-

https://www.mcmaster.com/#3283k69/=1b3j17i

Plastic window film,I use tempered glass,but still use the film because the abrasive will frost the window over time anyway.

https://www.mcmaster.com/#3283k13/=1b3j2au

For abrasive,I have two cabinets,one with Black slag for coarse work/heavy removal rates,the other with glass beads.I get mine at the local Tractor Supply-

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...brasives?rfk=1

They also carry glass beads,ground glass,AOX and Garnet.

The pilot operated air control valve I use-

https://www.automationdirect.com/adc...alves/AVS-5454

Foot control valve-

https://www.automationdirect.com/adc...es/CVS-5272-FP
    Last edited by wierdscience; 01-12-2018 at 03:12 PM.
    I just need one more tool,just one!

looks great except one minor detail - how do you open the doors?

I'm following this with interest. Let us know how that gun works out, I might consider one for my HF cabinets.

The main trouble I've had with the HF guns is just finding appropriate replacement tips. Based on a tip (maybe from someone here?) I started making my own from UHMW; they last longer than the ceramic tips anyway since the abrasive doesn't seem to affect the UHMW much.

I mounted a similar light inside my bigger cabinet like what you bought, except it's unsealed and the older flourescent. It gets some sand in the protective lens, but that doesn't seem to hurt it and it's easy enough to clean out anyway.

I use 80 grit HF glass bead in one cabinet (gives a nice satin finish) and 120 grit aluminum oxide in the other for a finish with more bite. The glass bead is nice for finishing stainless parts, and the aluminum oxide is general purpose for most other stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Yondering View Post
    looks great except one minor detail - how do you open the doors?

I'm following this with interest. Let us know how that gun works out, I might consider one for my HF cabinets.

The main trouble I've had with the HF guns is just finding appropriate replacement tips. Based on a tip (maybe from someone here?) I started making my own from UHMW; they last longer than the ceramic tips anyway since the abrasive doesn't seem to affect the UHMW much.

I mounted a similar light inside my bigger cabinet like what you bought, except it's unsealed and the older flourescent. It gets some sand in the protective lens, but that doesn't seem to hurt it and it's easy enough to clean out anyway.

I use 80 grit HF glass bead in one cabinet (gives a nice satin finish) and 120 grit aluminum oxide in the other for a finish with more bite. The glass bead is nice for finishing stainless parts, and the aluminum oxide is general purpose for most other stuff.
    Ah yes, I haven't decided yet if the ~6-8" of door opening will be an issue yet. If it does become a problem I can temporarily move the cabinet out another foot or so/or until I can open the door wide enough. I found a picture of when I had this same cabinet setup in my old shop. I also use a HF dust collector to evacuate the dust (pneumatic air powered via the Venturi effect) which allows me to precisely control the amount of vacuum. IIRC it worked really well and was very quiet. Hey, it looks like Harbor Freight doesn't sell the pneumatic dust collector anymore.

Last edited by 3 Phase Lightbulb; 01-12-2018 at 05:18 PM.
    Work hard play hard

Ah yes, I haven't decided yet if the ~6-8" of door opening will be an issue yet. If it does become a problem I can temporarily move the cabinet out another foot or so/or until I can open the door wide enough.
    Add a piano hinge and a latch to the window to make it a top loader.