Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Precision Lathe work

Default Precision Lathe work

Skip to 8:00

Work hard play hard

Wow. I was expecting something to go badly awry there. Bit disappointed with the final use of the finished product, though...

Quote Originally Posted by Euph0ny View Post
    Bit disappointed with the final use of the finished product, though...
    I could see J Tiers wanting one for his crazy plant fancy
    Work hard play hard

That's a lot of weight to have hanging of a small center point contact, especially in soft material. I'm surprised he did not have a huge off balance issue.
    Lot of good that face shield will do if that pillar comes flying out of there at 500 RPM's

JL..................

Quote Originally Posted by JoeLee View Post
    That's a lot of weight to have hanging of a small center point contact, especially in soft material. I'm surprised he did not have a huge off balance issue.
    Lot of good that face shield will do if that pillar comes flying out of there at 500 RPM's

JL..................
    You'd probably be more surprised how nothing much would happen

Work hard play hard

What is that weird brown metal. Must have a carbide insert chainsaw to get that depth of cut at such high RPM

Must not be in USA. OSHA would have a field day with those operations.
    “I know lots of people who are educated far beyond their intelligence”

Lewis Grizzard

I just need one more tool,just one!

Quote Originally Posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb View Post
    You'd probably be more surprised how nothing much would happen

There is a big difference between a perfectly balanced gyroscope and a huge pillar of glued up boards that are probably way out of balance and not perfectly on center to start.

JL.................

I absolutely agree this set up is not very safe. Having had a serious accident on my large wood lathe ( Nearly lost my thumb). Anyway could you be smart enough to run from this if it decided to take off? . In my opinion accidents on wood lathes are all but over before you can reach the emergency switch off button. My wooden bowl which was almost finished had from the start a large crack in the wood, I approached it according to all the literature I had read. In fact everything about the turning turned out well. It was when I increased the speed tp sand it exploded. One quarter of the bowl flew off across the room missing me but the quarter piece almost a perfect 90 degrees turning fast came down full on my thumb. No absolutely No time to retrieve my arm even thought the sound it made was a very loud bang bringing Bronwen in from the garden at top speed and she very cleverly grabbed the main switch coming into the property off this was something I had learned , from the college I attended for machining instruction,where emergency cords hung from the ceiling every few feet. All members upon starting a course or whatever there where shown and encouraged to use these immediately if the suspected or saw something awry. I spent around ten days plus in hospital after a six hour operation. Well what could you do with this set up?
    I suspect you would be facing something like a road impact with a vehicle or worse.
    If the gentleman would set up a rail in front of his lathe with moveable upright fixed arms then I think he would or could be safe enough. imho of course Alistair
    Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease