Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Precision Lathe work

Quote Originally Posted by JoeLee View Post
    There is a big difference between a perfectly balanced gyroscope and a huge pillar of glued up boards that are probably way out of balance and not perfectly on center to start.

JL.................
    Even that is not the main point, there is no gyroscope action involved here. If anything, gyroscope action might make things worse, by ensuring that the log comes straight outwards. The potential problem is the large log coming off of the centers.

If it just dropped down, it would tend to take off like a wheel, which will be directly toward the worker. I doubt one could dependably react in time even if if the log was simply dropped and bounced outwards, without it spinning.

With it spinning, it will tend to come out faster, knocking the lathe over, or at least backwards, in the process. That will be faster than if it was simply dropped, and nobody is able to react quickly enough to move out of the way.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

Quote Originally Posted by J Tiers View Post
    Even that is not the main point, there is no gyroscope action involved here. If anything, gyroscope action might make things worse, by ensuring that the log comes straight outwards. The potential problem is the large log coming off of the centers.

If it just dropped down, it would tend to take off like a wheel, which will be directly toward the worker. I doubt one could dependably react in time even if if the log was simply dropped and bounced outwards, without it spinning.

With it spinning, it will tend to come out faster, knocking the lathe over, or at least backwards, in the process. That will be faster than if it was simply dropped, and nobody is able to react quickly enough to move out of the way.
    This is exactly the point I was trying to make. There is a lot of weight hanging off two small center point indentations on each end. Just the weight alone is enough to hog out the center holes fast making the whole log loose between the centers.
    If it were me and I had to do something like this I would probably screw some steel plates to each end of the log and let the centers ride in the steel.
    I would also use live centers to avoid wear and friction with that kind of weight. Or perhaps rig some sort of bearing support on each end.

JL.............

Quote Originally Posted by JoeLee View Post
    This is exactly the point I was trying to make. There is a lot of weight hanging off two small center point indentations on each end. Just the weight alone is enough to hog out the center holes fast making the whole log loose between the centers.
    If it were me and I had to do something like this I would probably screw some steel plates to each end of the log and let the centers ride in the steel.
    I would also use live centers to avoid wear and friction with that kind of weight. Or perhaps rig some sort of bearing support on each end.

JL.............
    Ah... OK. We are in violent agreement.

We SURE agree we don't want to stand there. I can guaran-d**n-tee you that I don't.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

I don't see any safety issues with his setup. Looks like he is turning an axle with the wood structure attached to the axle. Big deal.
    Work hard play hard

Quote Originally Posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb View Post
    I don't see any safety issues with his setup. Looks like he is turning an axle with the wood structure attached to the axle. Big deal.
    You talkin about the log or the crazy plant stand? The plant stand appears to be a hollow tube. That log is a big heavy thing, and they had it spinnin fast..... no centers, no axle that I saw.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

Quote Originally Posted by J Tiers View Post
    You talkin about the log or the crazy plant stand? The plant stand appears to be a hollow tube. That log is a big heavy thing, and they had it spinnin fast..... no centers, no axle that I saw.
    I'm talking about the plant stand of course. Isn't everyone?
    Work hard play hard

So... CNC on the plant stand in this case stands for "Chainsaw N' Chances"?

I was OK with the rough turning on the laminated plant stand right up to where he said "I'm turning it up to 500RPM".... even watching the video I wanted to duck out of the way... I suspect he only does that once he's happy that it's running smoothly at the lower RPM first.

I thought the chainsaw thing was great. But I think the work was turning towards him. Seems like it would have been better/faster/smoother if he had opened the garage door and did it from the other side so the wood and teeth were not traveling together if at different speeds. Mind you a sternum high safety bar would not be a bad idea for that since both the wood and the saw would be pulling him forward into the work.

Wood and precision do not belong in the same paragraph.

Quote Originally Posted by RB211 View Post
    I have to agree(concerning my woodwork anyhow)

Quote Originally Posted by RB211 View Post
    In my world they do. I love precision Falcon Beechwood propellers.

Work hard play hard