Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: A new type of bench vise (Homemade prototype)

I especially like the eye. Hopefully, that will be forged in. Or at least stickers provided. Adds a "killer" look to rear jaws.

One further comment: there is a problem in that the face of the "lower jaw" does not remain parallel to the upper jaw face. In gripping materials that are hard, or that you do not want to mar by sinking the lower jaw "teeth" into them, the way they sunk into the wood in the video, you need a jaw face that stays parallel to the upper jaw face regardless of position.

The way I would suggest you do this is to make the lower jaw ribbed with two deep ribs running lengthwise for strength. Between those two ribs, underneath the lower jaw face you have a slot shaped in cross section like an pyramid, perhaps 10mm wide. The lower jaw face would sit in a half-round concave seat and be made with a corresponding half-round on it's back side. This would allow the jaw face to rotate enough to always remain parallel to the upper jaw face.

A teardrop shaped (for weight) handle could be made to screw into the center back side of the lower jaw face, through the above mentioned slot, to either keep the jaw aligned by acting as a counterweight, or to act as a handle so that it could be manually aligned if it was too stiff to align itself just from the weight of the handle. Making the half round on the back of the jaw face a few thou smaller in radius than normal clearance might help to ensure it remains easy to move.

The other option is to have "half-oval" jaw faces which always present the same curvature to each other no matter what their position of opening, but these obviously grip less effectively than flat faces.
    Last edited by Hoplophile; 02-04-2018 at 01:33 AM.

Definitely a cool innovation. I don't really need it but it would be nice to have. Reminds me a little of my Meyer Plier:

https://www.kimballmidwest.com/All-P.../Pliers/84117/

Thanks for all the comments and your advice to me ! Aaaand my neighbor is still alive and his legs are clinging to the body, still running..haa a haa Hoplophile, I can not find the record no.78 vises, i am looking for the forum in what you said, the garage journal. I showed there too my tools, about two weeks ago, now my message has gone so far away,hmmmm.. page 25....
    Next you (Hoplophile) suggested to me pivoting jaw system,yes, I have a plan for that,but the prototype(part2) is the best compromise to my garage.
    Esak76

I tend to agree with Hoplophile's assessment of the horizontal jaw pressure issue. But I think there's a reasonable degree of hold if the upper fixed jaw were to be flat and the lower given a rounded shape. Ideally it would be a somewhat cam or acorn shape that is curved in such a way that it maintains a pressure point within the face depth of the upper flat jaw. The closer to center the better. This may not be possible over the whole range of travel but if it can be maintained for much of the opening that would be a big gain.

There may also be some gain in making the fixed upper flat jaw with just a slight concavity to it so the pressure occurs in three lines on the part being held. Namely the outer edges of the upper and the contact point of the cam shaped lower. This concavity would be a very slight amount. Like a hundredth of a mm or so. Just enough that there's a focus of the clamping force.

With much heavy use this concavity would tend to wear away. But it's something that could be restored as needed. It would be nice it it started out that way though.

Thanks! I understand what you mean. Maybe you've already seen a bit of this alligator-vise, part 1, in the last picture.
    This type of vise works best when installed in a pillar head but works well on the corner of the table.

Quote Originally Posted by PStechPaul View Post
    Definitely a cool innovation. I don't really need it but it would be nice to have. Reminds me a little of my Meyer Plier:

https://www.kimballmidwest.com/All-P.../Pliers/84117/

You know, I can think of a few dozen times that would have saved a lot of time.