Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Gunsmith Machinist by Steve Acker

Default The Gunsmith Machinist by Steve Acker

I wanted to give a quick shoutout to Steve Acker for his book “The Gunsmith Machinist.” This book is a work of genius and contains more knowledge in a single book than anything I have ever seen. Usually with this type of publication, there might be a few practical chapters and a few tricks to put to use. Not this book. Page after page of great information.

Volume 2 is next for my purchase. I stumbled across Steve and I am so glad I did. Thanks again for putting something so useful in my hands.

I'll add it to my wish list. It's not a cheap book but that's the way it goes.

Ordered Book #2 last night. Used copy almost $50 on Amazon. Worth every penny. The first version has prodded me to work on improving the scope base attachments by increasing the screw sizes. I have sheared off the factory screws twice on out of state hunting trips. The project has grown legs and I am bedding the actions on two of my favorite hunting rifles at the same time. Should eat up the rest of winter and get me ready for hunting season.

I can hardly wait for #2 to arrive.

Anyone considering these books may wish to give thought to purchasing them directly from the source. Village Press, the publisher of the Acker books and the owner of this site offers Books one and two for $45 each. That's for a new book. Also, unlike a used book on Amazon, Steve Acker receives a portion of the sales price.

These books, and many others, can be ordered by calling Village Press at 800-447-7367.
    George

Well boys, I am book poor so is his book really that good? More comments please and I will buy from Village Press.
    Last edited by Carld; 02-17-2018 at 10:17 AM.
    It's only ink and paper

Get both volumes, you won't regret it!
    David Kaiser
    “You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein

Sounds like a plan. Ok.
    It's only ink and paper

Do these books offer content that’s valuable outside of gunsmithing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yes they do. Making some tools and even a smoker. Mostly Gunsmithing and things gunsmiths might be into. Lots of photos showing techniques. I hadn’t used a mill for almost 40 years, until I bought mine around Christmas (like riding a bike though) and I find the clear details and photos really helpful.

Give me your email and I’ll send you a photo of the table of contents, if interested. I’m not smart enough to post photos and I don’t want to put the tile into learning how to. This site is the most cumbersome to attach photos in my opinion.