Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My new Sheldon!

Default My new Sheldon!

I have a little metal shop in my garage, and this is my first real machine... 1959 UXL 46B 10" Sheldon. I need a new 'fiber' gear for the change gears (working on getting one 3D printed), however everything works and it's pretty quiet. It only came with the shown 6" 4 jaw, live center, and a laughably oversized carbide inset holder. The U drive works... slips easily into all of the gears, and the back gears work well too. I have a lot of cleaning to do...

I also guess I nee do get some tooling... the friend who helped my get it home to the garage gave my an old 4 sides tool holder...

I'm sure you'll be hearing more from me as I clean it up, get it running, and them look to disassemble, move to the basement, and then reassemble.

[IMG]
    [/IMG]

What happened to those gears??? Are they fiber??? on an old machine like that??

JL...............

Welcome! There are a few of us Sheldon owners here, and I think we all are quite impressed with the Sheldon line. That ruined gear is a toggle gear for reversing the direction of the drive. Most are replaced with metal, either brass, steel or cast iron but if you can get a fiber gear you'll cut down half the gear-train noise. I'm not up on 3-d printing materials but I wonder whether the commonly used plastics will hold up?

Also, on mine there is an oil cup in that hole through the bolt for the other toggle gear. In fact, I have oil cups on both of them. My lathe is a bit newer though, perhaps they changed that.
    Last edited by chipmaker4130; 02-11-2018 at 05:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeLee View Post
    What happened to those gears??? Are they fiber??? on an old machine like that??

JL...............
    Yes, they were originally supplied with a fiber gear to make the gear train quieter and I suspect as a sacrificial part in the event of crashes. The original manuals refer to it as a "formica" gear, I think.

I have an early 60's EXL, it's a great machine.
    Last edited by alanganes; 02-11-2018 at 05:52 PM.

Yes, formica is what they used. When these gears are damaged in the manner shown, it is almost always from repeatedly engaging the gears with the machine running, not from overload. When you get it fixed, be patient! Don't ever engage the drive while the spindle is turning (the exception might be when operating in back-gear where the spindle speed is very slow, but personally, I wouldn't do it at all).

When I rebuilt the Sheldon I have, the reversing gears were very nearly gone. They are simple plate gears that are available from Boston Gear (I think that's where I bought mine). I added bronze bushings for them to turn on. The metal gears are noisy, though.

Looks like micarta gears to me. I believe formica is the countertop material.

I had a can seamer that ate a micarta gear. That material is more expensive than I would have thought.

I Have a '56 Sheldon, and the geartrain noise would drive me nuts over long (multi-hour) sessions. It was a high-pitched "ring" that turned into a brain-piercer after about an hour.

With help from the forum here, I replaced three of the gears with a belt drive, which quieted things down immensely.

My gear, in the same position as the one you showed, was at some point prior to my purchase of the machine, replaced with brass. I suspect the original was damaged like yours. I've been thinking about making a replacement in Delrin, to see if I can't maybe quiet things down a touch more.

I'm not sure I'd trust a 3D printed gear, and even Delrin might not be quite strong enough, but I figure if I keep the old brass one handy, if something kerplodes while in the middle of a job, I could swap it back in and keep going.

Doc.
    Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Edwards View Post
    Looks like micarta gears to me. I believe formica is the countertop material. . .
    Formica is the actual word used in the Sheldon literature, but both terms generally refer to a phenolic laminate, of which there are many variations.

MrPete222 recently did a short term test of printed gears. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6Aq0d1070I

Stu