Thread: drilling oil hole in mill

Default drilling oil hole in mill

On my RF-45 type mill I can't access the rear oil hole on the vertical side of the table (x axis), the DRO scale is mounted there. It would seem that I could drill a hole up from the bottom through the existing hole underneath the table to the top so that I could oil the rear x axis way from the top. Any opinions on this? Good or bad?
    The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

I have been considering the same modification. I am planning to mount a DRO and I expect the scale will block access to the oiler. I haven't decided what type of oiler to install in the table top. A spring& ball oiler might allow dirt to enter. A threaded plug would be inconvenient and it might not get oiled frequently. I am looking for suggestions also.

Can you re-route the oiling hole to more convenient location with (plastic) piping?
    Then it would be short way to add manual lube pump... about 30 usd from ebay

It's quite easy to re-route or make new oil hole passages if you can get the part on a drill press or another mill. It's even possible to drill holes from the accessible outside and Loctite in a 'quill' to feed the oil in from a location on the inaccessible inside. These are some that I prepared earlier :-

It's not obvious from the picture, but the right hand one goes out (down on the pic), then up towards the face, then in to get oil from the bijur fitting on the inside of the saddle to the dovetail face that's hidden below the scraped top surface. The original holes (gummed up here) were plugged with cast iron rods, Loctited in.
    Last edited by Mark Rand; 02-12-2018 at 09:19 AM.

drill and mill passages as you need to......its amazing how many machine tools, even those of good quality, that don't have proper oil paths. I like the press-in 1/4" oil cups, and if I have to drill from two directions, I plug the extra opening with a set screw with gasket gunk on it

Last edited by Mcgyver; 02-12-2018 at 10:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MattiJ View Post
    Can you re-route the oiling hole to more convenient location with (plastic) piping?
    Then it would be short way to add manual lube pump... about 30 usd from ebay
    Rerouting isn't an option, not enough room around the DRO.
    The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Quote Originally Posted by loose nut View Post
    Rerouting isn't an option, not enough room around the DRO.
    So is there a chance of putting a new hole in from the end instead of the back?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rand View Post
    So is there a chance of putting a new hole in from the end instead of the back?
    right....put it where ever you can, it doesn't have to be far in or mate with the existing channel, just mill 1/2 round slots for oil to get to the rest of surfaces and plug other holes where necessary