Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My replacement has left to be a stunt man o.t.

Default My replacement has left to be a stunt man o.t.

Okay, I freely admit, the world gets stranger and stranger as I get older and older. For the last 3 years I have worked 3 days a week designing spin-forming lathes for a company in town. The owner came to me about 4 months ago and said that he wanted to ramp up production and was going to hire a full time engineer. I would still be kept on part time as a resource for automation and special purpose machinery. Well, okay, I'm not getting any younger and I think the owner is doing the right thing. He hired a nice young guy, a second generation Iranian fellow.--Very pleasant young man, seemed to have some idea of what he is doing. Last week he turned in his resignation. Seems like he's been doing stunt-man work for the movies and they've just hired him to be a stunt man at about 4 times more money than he was making as an engineer. The only story I've heard that tops that is a story my wife tells. My wife worked for 30 years for the federal government in an unemployment office. If someone quit a job or got laid off, they had to go to the office where my wife worked to file for unemployment benefits and state the reason they left their job. One young woman came into the office about 20 years ago and the reason she put down for leaving her job was that she was going to "Follow the Grateful dead"!!! I don't think that qualified her for any benefits, but it had to be the strangest response I ever heard when someone was ask why they had left their previous job.---Brian
    Brian Rupnow

Actually, It's not really strange at all.
    A lot of people are miserable in their professions.
    Mommy & Daddy drill this "NEED" to go to College into their kids.
    Then when the kid turns into an adult, they're miserable, and HATE the profession they've chosen.
    Sometimes you've just gotta throw caution to the wind, and just change your ways for the better.
    Or die a miserable man, tucked away in a cubicle somewhere. (Unless you LIKE being tucked away in a cubicle, that is.)

In the news, a young couple quit their jobs, sold everything, and bought a sailboat to live Island to Island. Neither one decided to learn how to sail. Two days into it, they capsized the sail boat. It put a smile on my face.

Lots of people gave up everything to follow the Dead.
    The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Quote Originally Posted by loose nut View Post
    Lots of people gave up everything to follow the Dead.
    The Dead? Thought that was Insane Clown Posse.

Quote Originally Posted by RB211 View Post
    In the news, a young couple quit their jobs, sold everything, and bought a sailboat to live Island to Island. Neither one decided to learn how to sail. Two days into it, they capsized the sail boat. It put a smile on my face.
    The first sentence and the second sentence do not relate to each other. Your post implies they are stupid for quitting their jobs and selling everything to go sail around the world, when actually, they are stupid for not learning how to sail first.

I don't think there's anything wrong with a radical life change, but not being an idiot is always a good idea.

Their boat hit a sandbar in a part of the waterway that is notorious for shifting sand bars. I don't believe the were stupid---just unfortunate.
    Brian Rupnow

I knew exactly what I wanted to do when I was around ~12 years old and discovered the Apple ][ computer. The strangest part is the software I was designing/developing from the very beginning was just as hard to do as the software/systems I design/develop today. I've had the same job for 28+ years now and it just gets more and more technical and exciting as time passes by.
    Work hard play hard

well at the end of the day when he's done with being a stuntman, he can still potentially get a job as an engineer. Who knows, it may lead to some engineering/ design work in the movie business. That has to be safer than driving off a cliff or whatever it is that stuntpeeps do. Neat story though.

As for upping and changing things around, sometimes that can lead to all kinds of paths that you never would have taken if you'd stuck to the standard one laid out for young people. If I hadn't burned out at college and went to live in South America for a year before doing a PhD I would never have met my wife or lived in all the countries that we've lived in since. It hasn't always been an easy road, but it's certainly been an interesting one.

Quote Originally Posted by mattthegamer463 View Post
    The first sentence and the second sentence do not relate to each other. Your post implies they are stupid for quitting their jobs and selling everything to go sail around the world, when actually, they are stupid for not learning how to sail first.

I don't think there's anything wrong with a radical life change, but not being an idiot is always a good idea.
    What you perceive as me being a dick is really just horrible story telling. No, I take that back, I am a flaming dick.
    Anyhow, here’s the article
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a8206096.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro