Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: My replacement has left to be a stunt man o.t.

I was one of the extremely fortunate young men who found their lifes calling immediately on leaving school. I have worked in design engineering for 54 years now, and never wanted to do something else for a living.---BUT---the way my life has went, it has allowed me to become skilled in many other things that interested me. Not things I would want to do year in and year out, but things I found interesting. I have been very fortunate. As for making a total life change--I went to school with a guy named Frank Stamplekoski. Frank was a great guy, but part way through school Frank ran away and joined a travelling circus. We all felt very badly for Frank, because we had been warned numerous times by parents, teachers, and all adults in general about throwing our young lives away like that. Years later I ran into Frank at a school reunion. Frank had been all over the world with that touring circus. He had seen things I will never see and done things I never done, and said he had enjoyed a truly wonderful life.---Makes you think, doesn't it!!!
    Brian Rupnow

The kid could be full of s**t and/or delusional. People say, and think they are going to do, a lot of things.

Quote Originally Posted by softtail View Post
    The kid could be full of s**t and/or delusional. People say, and think they are going to do, a lot of things.
    It's sad. It reminds me of people that have had many different jobs. None of them appear to have been very successful at anything for any length of time at least from a monetary point of view. Hopefully it was at least fulfilling in other ways.
    Work hard play hard

Quote Originally Posted by RB211 View Post
    What you perceive as me being a dick is really just horrible story telling. No, I take that back, I am a flaming dick.
    Anyhow, here’s the article
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a8206096.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    The above comes from the guy who quit his day job (whatever that was) and borrowed big bucks to go to school to be an commercial Aero plane pilot?

I saw one of the most radical changes in directions recently on the news. Some guy in South Africa was going to be a lion poacher.

That apparently changed permanently when they found what was left of him next to his rifle and ammunition. Lions 1, poachers 0.

Actually several people I've met who have had more than average interesting lives seem to have been driven by curiosity and an openness to different people, cultures and situations. One had had a job with an oil refinery construction project in the Middle East. Where most of the Westerners just hung out together, he got to know the locals under his supervision, learned Arabic so he could converse with them and joined some of their events and celebrations. I think when he moved on, it was because the company let him go since he obviously didn't quite fit the mold.
    "I am often asked how radio works. Well, you see, wire telegraphy is like a very long cat. You yank his tail in New York and he meows in Los Angeles. Do you understand this? Now, radio is exactly the same, except that there is no cat." : Albert Einstein

As an engineer myself, I applaud the young fellow who quit to be a stunt driver. Good for him, making good money and presumably doing something he enjoys better.

Personally I wanted to be an engineer since I was a kid, and I'm good at it, but frankly I don't actively encourage my kids or anyone else to take that path. It does involve a lot of sitting in an office rather than being outdoors or in the shop, and unfortunately doesn't seem to pay as well relative to a lot of other jobs these days. I make decent money, but for example a couple high school friends of mine (one didn't even graduate, the other has a high school diploma with no advanced education) ended up as firefighters, and now ~20-something years later both make more money than I do with a lot more time off as well. Hard to argue with that.

A lot of stunt men are engineers. The two guys that starred on Mythbusters are a couple of stuntmen that made good. A lot of engineering goes into some of the stunts that we see on the movies. It's not all just falling down.

lg
    no neat sig line

Quote Originally Posted by RB211 View Post
    In the news, a young couple quit their jobs, sold everything, and bought a sailboat to live Island to Island.
    I've had a few people forward that news to me, as I just picked up a sailboat. Didn't have to sell everything though.

Each link came from a different news source and it seemed a little odd to me that they were so freely and aggressively sharing what would be for most people a very embarrassing event. I see now that their crowd-funding site has surpassed what it will take to remove the boat and they have had numerous offers of free boats.

I suppose if I were in their situation I would get busy in trying to turn things around and help from others would be welcome, but I sure wouldn't feel right about profiting from my silly mistake.
    George

Quote Originally Posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb View Post
    It's sad. It reminds me of people that have had many different jobs. None of them appear to have been very successful at anything for any length of time at least from a monetary point of view. Hopefully it was at least fulfilling in other ways.
    I had many different jobs during my career at AT&T. Everything from long distance cordboard operator (1910 technology) to systems architect. It was not a matter of being unhappy. It was a matter of each job providing a skill that meshed with a new opportunity. Even being a telephone operator contributed something, in that case it was formal training in how to effectively teach people.

I really enjoyed my time at AT&T. They provided a month or two of technical training as needed for each job. By the time I retired I had the equivalent of a CS degree with a lot of training and years of experience in databases, operations, programming, networking and security.

True, that's not the way to get rich, but it was satisfying and allowed me to retire much earlier than the norm.

Dan
    Measure twice. Cut once. Weld. Repeat.
    ( Welding solves many problems.)

Quote Originally Posted by danlb View Post
    long distance cordboard operator (1910 technology)
    How come every time I see pictures of those people (maybe just in the movies?) they are always women.

Which one is you?

Last edited by 3 Phase Lightbulb; 02-13-2018 at 01:17 PM.
    Work hard play hard