Thread: OT: Growing family (cute)

Default OT: Growing family (cute)

Among the 4 new budgies, we have 5 new dependents that arrived 3 weeks ago and a second litter is already in progress so more to come in another ~2 weeks.

The kids wanted baby Gerbils but the local pet stores have only had adults so we had to "make our own" Anyone in MA looking to adopt a pair of baby Gerbils?

Work hard play hard

Maybe you can sell them as emotional support pets !!!!!

JL................

Sorry, after hearing the news about the woman with the hamster at the air port I couldn't resist.

The local zoo would probably take them.

We'll keep 2 or 3 of the babies and give the rest to the pet store and the 2nd litter as she is pregnant again. For the 1st litter, you leave the father in to help out, but they mate immediately after she gave birth. We need to separate the Dad soon before she gives birth to the second litter. Then put one or two males together with the Dad and keep one female with the Mom to help with her second litter. Gestation for the 1st litter is only 24 days! I forget what it is for the 2nd litter while she is still nursing the 1st litter.
    Work hard play hard

Buy a snake

Ask Spirit Airlines what to do with them

Quote Originally Posted by chipmaker4130 View Post
    Buy a snake
    I doubt the gerbils will enjoy eating snake. Maybe if I cook it, but nah.
    Work hard play hard

Be careful who you give them to. My wife worked in a hospital for many years & told me stories I really didn't to hear about small animals, soda deices vacuum cleaners all used for the wrong reason. I wonder if the guy had a Eureka moment when he had to go the the emergency room with it still attached?
    You can lead people to knowledge but you can't make them think.
    "Lead, follow, or get out of the way." George Patton
    "I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves".
    Ronald Reagan

Had gerbils for awhile in the '80s, always enjoyed how you could just drop a folded up newspaper in the cage and within 6-8 hours the gerbils would have
    completely shredded the newspaper into what you show in your video. They would stay up all nite tearing the paper up.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by sch View Post
    Had gerbils for awhile in the '80s, always enjoyed how you could just drop a folded up newspaper in the cage and within 6-8 hours the gerbils would have
    completely shredded the newspaper into what you show in your video. They would stay up all nite tearing the paper up.
    Yup, they normally have some thick cardboard tubes in there but because they had a litter we're keeping the aquarium very simple without anything. They they have the tubes they go nuts chewing them until they are just fluffy paper. Newspaper isn't really good for them due to the ink but they do love cardboard tubes, thick card-stock paper to chew on, etc. I watched them for over an hour tonight. I was cracking open sunflower seeds and feeding them the little guys. Also gave them a few cheerios. They are adorable.
    Last edited by 3 Phase Lightbulb; 02-14-2018 at 07:50 PM.
    Work hard play hard