Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Import Steel Quality

Default Import Steel Quality

I was going to post this to the last thread but I see it's been closed, surprised it went that long after getting so far off track.

Here are some pics of the quality that I've seen.

This is a piece of 1/4" x 1 1/4" that I got last year. If I could harden it up to 72RC I could make files out of it with the surface finish it has.
    The two pieces on the right were purchased around the mid to late 90's. The finish is much better but not as good as the older stuff (pre 80's) was.

The pieces on the right are older. You can tell how the quality has diminished throughout the years.
    That's a piece of 80 grit sand paper sitting next to the bar for finish comparisons.

The 3/4" flat bar was purchased in the early 80's before the import crap started to flood the market. You can see the difference in surface finish.
    And this is just the flat bar stuff. I've found channel, angle and rounds to be of the same poor finish quality, not to mention the dimensional quality.
    The color of the slag has changed too. Not sure why that is. The older steel has a dark grey and the newer crap is very light. Temperature during the forming process ??

JL..................
    Last edited by JoeLee; 03-11-2018 at 01:19 PM.

This is hot rolled?
    Cold roll would be an easier comparison

I noticed some time ago that low allow steel used to turn a lot nicer than it does now. I've always thought that it was the presence of non-alloying metals in the mix. A fair amount of steel used to be made from pretty clean feed stock - new pig in Bessemer conversion, etc. and now it's mostly scrap remelt that they try and bring tramp materials down to acceptable levels. So the older stuff used to be provided with tramp materials near the bottom of the spec and new stuff seems to have it near the top of the spec.

(Gettin' old when you start bitching about the copper in the steel nowadays.)

Imported from where? you're having problems with steel from Canada and Germany?

The rough pieces look just like the wrought iron of yesteryear.

Quote Originally Posted by old mart View Post
    The rough pieces look just like the wrought iron of yesteryear.
    Hot rolled steel is also referred to as hot wrought.
    Surface finish is not specified or graded in hot rolled.
    http://metalreference.com/INFO_Hot_Rolled_Steel.html

Most new steel is recycled from cars and whatever else the mill can find. There are minimum chemical and tensile requirements for A36 structural steel (most hot rolled) but it can vary widely. It's tough to find true mild steel anymore unless you buy to a specific certified grade from the mill. I had some AISI 1005 a while back that was very clean and easy to work but I bought it from a machine shop as scrap.

Quote Originally Posted by Mcgyver View Post
    Imported from where? you're having problems with steel from Canada and Germany?
    I don't ever remember getting any hot rolled from Germany, I do have some that came out of Canada and it's very good quality. As far as the hot rolled that I'm showing the pictures ... I have no clue where that stuff came from it could have been China India who knows Mexico??
    I do have a piece of 1" x 1" x 1/8" angle that came from Taiwan, it has a sticker on it that says BK Steel, that was the stuff that was not square.

JL........

Wow, never seen anything like that.

Statistically, the most likely source is the US. Without a known origin, any other assumption is meaningless. In the meantime, it's hot rolled steel. I've got worse, I've got better. It cleans up and welds ok It also takes a good layer of paint. If I need to machine it, I take a good cut off it and end up with the same stuff inside.

Surface finish is not what hot rolled steel is about...