Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sweepable covering for stairs coming up from shop?

Default sweepable covering for stairs coming up from shop?

My shop was originally a largeish 2-car garage under my house. Being connected to a house, of course tracking chips into the house is a big problem. There are stairs that go from the shop up to the house. These stairs are currently covered with very cheap wall-to-wall carpeting. I typically walk halfway up the stairs, then remove my shoes and continue up the rest of the way. This practice eliminates nearly all chips from my feet.

But the lower half of the stairs get really covered in chips and they are a holy bitch to get loose. They grab onto the loops in the rug and hang on like velcro on steroids. I can get some off by sweeping and sweeping but this rug isn't ever going to be chip-free.

I want the stairs covered in some product the chips can't stick to. I haven't decided yet whether to install over the current carpet or what. But I have no idea what flooring to use. Do you?

metalmagpie

New Pig (newpig.com) makes a product called Sticky Steps Mat that I have used. If you put a pack of them at the bottom of the stairs they should remove most of the swarf from your shoes BEFORE you get to the carpeted stairs. They're not cheap but they last a long time.

Pull the carpet off. Get rubber stair tread covers (safer than carpet anyway). They can be tacked or glued down. Also put a bristle door entrance throw at the bottom to wipe your feet before going up the stairs.

Aluminum tread plate.
    *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

It's not a direct solution but I have shop shoes that stay in the garage or the floormat inside the garage door to the house, prevents me from tracking stuff around.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Looped Carpet is a no-no..as you found out
    I have 3 commercial throw rugs/carpets to cross before I hit the stairs, and the shoes are off by then.
    The 3 rugs are 3' x 4' and came from a Laundry service that provides them to business's.
    You have seen them I am sure. Once a week, they go in and change the carpets for offices and stores, usually by the front doors.
    After a few years, they get tacky or have a un-removable spots and cannot be used by the service and they will sell them to you cheap ( $8 in my case)
    The neat thing is these have straight fibers vertically and no loops and are designed to wipe the shoes ...perfect for a shop. They also have a solid rubber backing .
    Mine grabs chips trapped that easily come out with the shop vac..
    Rich

Quote Originally Posted by metalmagpie View Post
    But the lower half of the stairs get really covered in chips and they are a holy bitch to get loose.

I want the stairs covered in some product the chips can't stick to. ... But I have no idea what flooring to use. Do you?
    Consider replacing one or more of the bottom-most stair treads with open stair tread grating that you make or buy:

Commercial examples:

A handy guy like you can make your own custom treads from flat bar & angle. Weld if so equipped. Otherwise, design for fasteners and interlocking tongues/slots.

Afterwards, set a tray under the staircase to capture falling swarf and empty this periodically.
    "There's a place for us,
    A special place for us.
    Perspiration and chaos and sulfurous air
    Wait for us
    Somewhere."

(Apologies to Stephen Sondheim who wrote the lyrics and Leonard Bernstein who wrote the music to Somewhere from Westside Story.)

Matthegamer463 has the answer. I always remove my shoes at the back door, sort of a no-brainer. It also keeps me out of divorce court.

Sarge41

After 5 years of perpetually being in the doghouse over chips and cutting fluid on the stairtreads, which were covered with dove grey carpet, I had the flooring people come in and do my stairs in composite flooring, with metal leading edges. (nosing). Problem is solved.
    Brian Rupnow

They don't stick to hardwood stairs or tile. I generally take my shoes of at bottom of the steps but have been known to sneak though.