Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: sweepable covering for stairs coming up from shop?

Just strip the carpet and all debris as best as possible, then paint with a decent floor paint. It will be easily sweepable. To knock off as much debris as possible from shoes, perhaps the bottom several treads can just be covered by a steel mesh fabrication. It would be folded to fit the step heights and depths so it could be attached and removed as one piece. Just the painted steps above that, unless you wanted the top step or two to be something softer. Maybe make these two 'step covers' replaceable- they are going to end up with embedded chips in them, and by replacing them you positively get rid of this nuisance.
    Last edited by darryl; 03-11-2018 at 11:51 PM.
    I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

The solution at my house is a cleaning lady. I resisted, but my wife's argument was it was my fault for bringing shop chips, etc into the house.

Im scratching my head on this one, you found a solution already and your going through all the pains to do it already - so just take your shoes off a little earlier.

or --- throw down some shag carpet at the very bottom of the steps - do a little dance before you head up - should be good.

Quote Originally Posted by darryl View Post
    Just strip the carpet and all debris as best as possible, then paint with a decent floor paint. It will be easily sweepable. To knock off as much debris as possible from shoes, perhaps the bottom several treads can just be covered by a steel mesh fabrication.
    Lots of good solutions but, if it were me, this is what I would do. I don't like carpeted stairs, anyway. The carpet always takes a beating and ends up wearing faster than the carpet elsewhere.

I have one of those Astro Turf style door mats at the door from my shop (garage) and the house. They are pretty good for wiping the chips from your shoes. Of course, you have to actually wipe them. So far I have had no complaints.

I guess you could put that stuff on all the steps and by the time you got to the top your shoes would be fairly clean. That might help if you have any youngsters in the house who will forget to wipe.

I know that they make different grades of this kind of door mat. Look for one with a deep "turf" on it.

Oh and they are fairly easy to clean. Just take it outside and flip it over and shake. Or beat it against a chain link fence. You will be amazed at how much comes out of it.
    Paul A.

Make it fit.
    You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

I always liked having the old style mud brush near the door I head out of. Similar to these:
    https://www.uline.com/BL_1779/1779

I also got rid of all the carpet in the house and use throw rugs instead. Far easier to keep clean and doesn't lock onto swarf (or, a problem here burdock)