Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Danger, Will Robinson. A VFD Story

Quote Originally Posted by ikdor View Post
    It could be that the first time the line voltage was close to the zero crossing the moment the vfd was switched on. If the second time the waveform was near max voltage, the surge could be much worse.
    I thought about that as well but this unit was connected to 3 phase power. I am pretty sure that the capacitors are all connected in one bank. These VFD's are single phase or three phase, so all the input power is rectified and fed to the same capacitor(s)

+1 for JT's method of reforming in lieu of manufactures dedicated directions. I used to start out old timey radios being restored with a 12v transformer. just hook it up and start another project. A lot of fellas would substitute solid sate rectifiers for vacuum tube rectifiers in old stuff... I think that would be worse than the tubes as they would give full voltage rather quickly compared to a tube heating up and gradually supplying voltage. Not that there are many tubes in modern equipment... I just still like them...

All I can say is it won't happen again, and that I will power all my inverters for a while now before I apply a load.
    paul
    ARS W9PCS

Esto Vigilans

Remember, just because you can doesn't mean you should...
    but you may have to

Ya knowz..... only old codgers like us lot even know who the hell Will Robinson is any longer.....

I always like the show because it used a slightly modified version of Robby from Forbidden Planet. Poor guy, he only had two roles his whole life other than a brief cameo in Zathura.

Quote Originally Posted by BCRider View Post
    Ya knowz..... only old codgers like us lot even know who the hell Will Robinson is any longer.....

I always like the show because it used a slightly modified version of Robby from Forbidden Planet. Poor guy, he only had two roles his whole life other than a brief cameo in Zathura.
    +1 :>)
    paul
    ARS W9PCS

Esto Vigilans

Remember, just because you can doesn't mean you should...
    but you may have to