Thread: Some Type of Insert

Default Some Type of Insert

Need some info. What I'd like to do is bore a hole and press in some type of bushing that would have a hex hole through it. The reason is that I don't have a zillion dollars to buy a hex broach. Does such a bushing exist? I went to McMaster Carr and could not find anything. It seems somewhere I heard that this might exist for square holes. Thanks.

Hex inserts are cheap, very easy to find and available in various sizes. Just buy a socket set from hazard freight.

It all depends on the size you need but having done more or less the same previously, you can use the head of a socket head capscrew. I have also used a hex drive brass pipe plug that I turned the threads off of. I glued the plug onto a allen wrench then heated it after to release it from the wrench.
    Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
    Bad Decisions Make Good Stories

Depending on how tight of tolerance you need,6 point deep sockets work good.I just machine Chrome off and part off ,I have tight press fit or weld in place.One particular size may vary from different brands,I have collected a lot at the dump even rusty ones can be cleaned up.