Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: OT: Miami Florida pedestrian bridge collapse

Default OT: Miami Florida pedestrian bridge collapse

"Outlaw Bridges" they kill people .
    ...lew...

So sorry to hear of this tragedy. The bridge was only part built, I wonder if that contributed to the failure. Back in the 60's box girder bridges were prone to collapse before the sections were connected, there were collapses in the UK and Australia that I recall.

Quite a tragedy. It will be interesting to learn what caused this collapse. Construction was done just last Saturday. It looks like one of the end pillars ripped out from the base, so I suspect the concrete had not fully cured, or perhaps was defective. It may have been poor engineering, workmanship, or materials. There are always suppliers and contractors who cut corners and deliver faulty materials to make more profit. This was even the case with the Brooklyn Bridge.

http://mentalfloss.com/article/68463...t-fuhgeddaboud

I did a little searching on the web.. It appearse that it was still a ways from completion.. It was going to have supports according to this rendering of it... I am thinking someone miscalculated it being able to support itself until the "cables" were built.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/loca...204506084.html

Hindsight is easy of course, but after seeing that artists impression of the finished bridge, I would have thought that a temporary support where the central reservation in the road is would have been sensible, even if the lanes were narrowed while it was in place.

I'd been thinking that there was no way it was a finished span, That rendering explains what I'd been seeing as 'wrong'.
    Also, I'd been thinking of it as a Howe truss which it obviously isn't in the rendering. Knowing it was designed as a type of suspension bridge takes a lot of wondering out.

It met the three primary criteria for a modern municipal construction project-
    Expensive
    Needlessly complicated
    Architectural eyesore
    I just need one more tool,just one!

The rendering is of a cable-stayed bridge. I see no evidence that the cable support was in place, although connection points for it are visible on the top of the collapsed section.

I do not know why it was built that way, but, then, I switched from architecture to EE before taking very many structures courses (only a couple beside what is required "distribution" in an engineering major).

Evidently the belief was that it would hold up while they put the next part in place. They would never have connected the cables with only half the bridge in place, that column in the rendering is there to take essentially pure compression, other than relatively minor amounts of unbalance. The column could not have held up one side without the other side in place, so there must have been a beam structure in the section, as evidenced by the picture of it being moved into place.

Equally obviously the design was intended to have the cable support. The report, when it comes out, should be interesting in that it should describe the plan, and what went wrong. Meanwhile, it is a tragic occurrence that was almost certainly preventable.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

One eyewitness mentoned that he saw the large crane onsite with it's boom over the bridge and what he descibed as a "blue tool" hanging from the hook which fell and crashed into the bridge deck "because the load was too much".

That could mean several things,could be another rigging/crane failure,or maybe something failed on assembly.Either way I think there are several better ways this could have done that met all the requirements without 950 tons of concrete being suspended in mid-air.A tubular steel box truss comes to mind.
    I just need one more tool,just one!