Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Mill Work Light Options

Quote Originally Posted by vpt View Post
    On Video Mans mill it looks liek the light mounts to the quill and goes up and down with the quill?

Matts looks like it could mount on the head around the quill? This is how I always thought these things were mounted. I am curious how Video mans light works out going up and down with the quill and if it has any issues especially with the wire traveling with the quill. I would assume less shadows with it mounted to the quill.
    Yes, my light just fits the quill and moves with it. As you can see in the photos, I have the wires encased in cable wrap, which provides some stiffness to keep them out of the way. But I do have to watch that the wires don't get fouled by the tool, particularly with short cutters which bring the light close to the work. So far, no problems. I did add a dollop of hot glue to the wires as they enter the lamp, where they are fragile, to avoid any tension on the solder joint.

Hello, OK, finally figured out what I did wrong on the photos. This is a 4W 120V LED from Menards (Meridian GU10 Model #13131). Couldn't source the socket in the US, so it came from ebay. I have been happy with it, other than getting the Lock-Line too long. Regards, Earl

i just ordered another 4 of these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/112691935927?var=413167242377

Quote Originally Posted by ehughes View Post
    Hello, OK, finally figured out what I did wrong on the photos. This is a 4W 120V LED from Menards (Meridian GU10 Model #13131). Couldn't source the socket in the US, so it came from ebay. I have been happy with it, other than getting the Lock-Line too long. Regards, Earl

THat looks great, what size of lock line is that?

Hi Matt, Thanks, the Loc-Line is 1//4". Regards, Earl

Here's the merger lf a car ring light, loc line and an aluminum ring. Just needs permanent wiring. Seems perfect for the little drill press.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Finished now

Quote Originally Posted by mattthegamer463 View Post
    They're actually the LED without stars, got a bag of them for a buck or two, no stars though. Mounting with epoxy would work if it can handle reasonably high temp. Another option is do the mount out of copper/brass sheet and solder the LEDs on.

Artic Silver Thermal Epoxy. I used it ages ago to glue home made aluminum heat sinks to G540 controllers before I quit using them. (The G540s. I still make and use my own heat sinks. LOL.)
    *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob La Londe View Post
    Artic Silver Thermal Epoxy. I used it ages ago to glue home made aluminum heat sinks to G540 controllers before I quit using them. (The G540s. I still make and use my own heat sinks. LOL.)
    Best I can find is 25 USD after shipping, to get it up here.

I'm switching to Cree LEDs on small 16mm bases, still waiting for them to arrive. I think I'll use screw to fasten them with regular thermal grease beneath. I ordered some small heatsinks as well which I may put on the backside of the aluminum strip the LEDs will be mounted on. I haven't decided if that will prove necessary but it may be needed.

I drew the short straw and got the slow boat from China, but my LEDs are here. I whipped up my original idea over the weekend, but instead of a microphone gooseneck I used the flex portion of a black and decker flex light I found at the junk store.

Did the curved strip of aluminum, about 7/8" wide, with some tiny heatsinks. Yes I know they're sideways. Toggle switch on the light for easy access.

30v and 200mA constant current from a wall wart and small DC/DC board from eBay.

Mounts to some modified angle iron that attaches behind the quill scale using longer screws. No harm done.

Photos attached