Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T: Any Chemists? Pure capsaicin dulution

Default O/T: Any Chemists? Pure capsaicin dulution

Yea, I am a hobby chemist from 12 years old. Chemistry set and the whole thing.

So fast forward I am also a food lover (cooking is chem).

I like spicy food, not to the point where you cant taste the food.

I bought a pound of capsaicin from Australia. Food grade.

Problem is it is inconsolable [sic] with water, most cooking mediums.

I have been running a test with six solvents. Water being one of them. A blind test of my own.

I made a blind log of my test. I wanted real numbers. I am odd like that, me and numbers.

To remove 1mg of the stuff to each of six glass tubes (5ml). Mix them and wait.

The problem with pure capsicum is it wont touch water. It is oil loving but not oil based.

Ironically it dissolves fine in alcohol, they say. I dont know, yet. I am still running my test.

My test is 6 vials and some time (three weeks soak). The solvents are all edible and sometimes healthy.

I have already peeked at my experiment. There is a winner. Most of the vials still had large chunks of (methyl-n-vanillyl nonenamide) {Wiki} in the solution.

There was one that was completely clear.

I know. I am a geek chemist. Then electricity. Then mechanics. JR

Oh, solly. No question. Just a story.
    My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Seeing how it dissolves in alcohol would be test #1 for me.

Soluble in alcohol or fats/oils but not water, correct - this is why it's wise for Vindaloo and Fahl lovers (including me) to have good strong beer available at the Indian restaurants! Lots of it!

I buy ready-made chilli oil, it's normally infused into olive oil, which is quite healthy and tasty in its own right

Dave H. (the other one)
    Rules are for the obedience of fools, and the guidance of wise men.

Holbrook Model C Number 13 lathe, Testa 2U universal mill, bikes and tools

Out of curiosity, why would you buy pure capsaicin extract, which is the "essence of heat" for food use? I love spicy foods and the best part about making new and traditional dishes is to try different peppers and spices in their natural form. Each pepper has its own unique flavor and heat level. The varying flavors and spiciness of all the different peppers is what makes spicy gourmet foods interesting. I would think pure capsaicin is nothing but heat and no real flavor. I know it's used in pepper spray for bears and humans but that's not what you're using it for.

I used to like Jalapenos but not any more. I can't take the heat now. Any thing hotter than a can of Wolf brand chili (no beans) gets left uneaten. If it's hot enough to burn the tongue, I can't taste the food. I might as well be eating cardboard or dirt. Perhaps that's why food is hot in many countries--You don't want to taste the contents.

Quote Originally Posted by CCWKen View Post
    I used to like Jalapenos but not any more. I can't take the heat now. Any thing hotter than a can of Wolf brand chili (no beans) gets left uneaten. If it's hot enough to burn the tongue, I can't taste the food. I might as well be eating cardboard or dirt. Perhaps that's why food is hot in many countries--You don't want to taste the contents.
    Amen to that!
    There is another reason to not eat hot, spicy foods: the indigestion that keeps you awake all night.
    Bill
    I cut it off twice and it's still too short!

Kalsec, based in Kalamazoo, has been producing a vast array of spice extracts, including capsaicin, for decades. You might check out their offerings for ideas. The science of it, and how they deliver spices is interesting.

They also have put a lot of effort into studying and isolating the components of pepper heat. You know how some peppers heat the throat vs. tongue, time delay, etc. Flavor vs. pain.

Tongue mapping - perception of heat on the tongue over 6 minutes time:

https://www.kalsec.com/products/capsicum-extracts/

So I do not see the problem. Almost all food has oils, and that will "carry" the capsaicin. You can make up a solution, and dilute as needed. Where is the problem?

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

I love spicy foods, but for some reason hate spicy versions of any chips, vegetable juices etc. that I've tried.

Never knew pure capsaicin was available, I'll have to look into it for some experimentation on my own.

Quote Originally Posted by Seastar View Post
    Amen to that!
    There is another reason to not eat hot, spicy foods: the indigestion that keeps you awake all night.
    Bill
    Amen to that. How I miss the good old days when I could handle a good Bloody Mary.
    “I know lots of people who are educated far beyond their intelligence”

Lewis Grizzard