Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: O/T: Any Chemists? Pure capsaicin dulution

Quote Originally Posted by J Tiers View Post
    Heh....I see some of those sauces are put out by the "Scoville food Institute" (so-called).... Kinda gives away what their schtick really is, doesn't it?
    Jerry!! That is a stupid company. I only showed that picture because of the Endorphin Rush sauce you spoke of. JR

P.S. Furthest on the right side...
    My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Quote Originally Posted by JRouche View Post
    For me air dry in a dark place. I have tried in openair and sun and they did not dry in th sun.

My peppers are 4"x1.125" Green.

Some fat fruit and to take it from fresh green to what I showed you is months. JR
    I got it, thank you. While drying, do you keep them laying on the fabric shown or some kind of mesh, or you hang them by the stem? If they're laying down on something, do you rotate them occasionally?

What Carolina Reaper products do you prefer (if any) for cooking or using "as is" on top of something?

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelP View Post
    I got it, thank you. While drying, do you keep them laying on the fabric shown or some kind of mesh, or you hang them by the stem? If they're laying down on something, do you rotate them occasionally?

What Carolina Reaper products do you prefer (if any) for cooking or using "as is" on top of something?

Thanks again.
    I have dried them on the cloth and on the bare sheet pan. Seems to not make any difference.

Do make sure to keep the stem intact. I made the mistake of removing the stem while still green and half the batch rotted.

I have tried to dry them in the sun and that just cooked them and some rotted.

As for the reapers using as is. I dont suggest it. I grind them up to a fine powder and use sparingly. The fruitiness of them makes them a good match for fish and even fruit. A very small amount (1tsp/2gal) in meat chili will be a good ratio. Still edible for most people.

Works well with grilled chicken also.

I cant grow those here so I have to use dried pods. JR

Jerry!! That is a stupid company. I only showed that picture because of the Endorphin Rush sauce you spoke of. JR

P.S. Furthest on the right side...
    yeah I saw that...

Just commenting on that other company... agree... Made for those tall skinny hot sauce nerds (With the close clipped 3 day beards... they all seem to have those too)

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

JR im about the farthest thing from a chemist as you can get - but i wonder about "juicing" a conventional hot pepper and then filtering the juice and then trying that as one of the capsaicin mediums,

who knows there might be something in there naturally that keeps things in suspension already,, and because what your making is such a concentrate you would not have to worry about the initial pepper giving off it's particular "flavor"

did you try the alcohol yet?

Quote Originally Posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
    JR im about the farthest thing from a chemist as you can get - but i wonder about "juicing" a conventional hot pepper and then filtering the juice and then trying that as one of the capsaicin mediums,

who knows there might be something in there naturally that keeps things in suspension already,, and because what your making is such a concentrate you would not have to worry about the initial pepper giving off it's particular "flavor"

did you try the alcohol yet?
    Interesting thought. I think it would act like the water vial letter C and not mix. I did the filtered Vodka, letter E. Not great results and that surprised me. JR

Interesting thought. I think it would act like the water vial letter C and not mix. I did the filtered Vodka, letter E. Not great results and that surprised me. JR
    Many mixtures that do dissolve, also have the property that 'carrying" one solute will decrease the solubility of others. Alcohol plus water will not "carry" what alcohol does when it is by itself.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

Quote Originally Posted by J Tiers View Post
    Many mixtures that do dissolve, also have the property that 'carrying" one solute will decrease the solubility of others. Alcohol plus water will not "carry" what alcohol does when it is by itself.
    I agree. Maybe why the Vodka didnt work. Too much water. I have some everclear. I might try that. The propylene glycol looks like a winner though. And it is safe. JR

I have dried them on the cloth and on the bare sheet pan. Seems to not make any difference.

Do make sure to keep the stem intact. I made the mistake of removing the stem while still green and half the batch rotted.

I have tried to dry them in the sun and that just cooked them and some rotted.

As for the reapers using as is. I dont suggest it. I grind them up to a fine powder and use sparingly. The fruitiness of them makes them a good match for fish and even fruit. A very small amount (1tsp/2gal) in meat chili will be a good ratio. Still edible for most people.

Works well with grilled chicken also.

I cant grow those here so I have to use dried pods. JR
    Great info. Thanks a lot, JR!

Interesting thought. I think it would act like the water vial letter C and not mix.
    I bet your most likely right but you never know till you try, could be an enzyme thing, but also sounds like you already found a good answer and one that will keep in storage for as long as you need...