Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fordillac V-8 engine running, finally

Default Fordillac V-8 engine running, finally

Gentlemen,
    After many trails and tribulations the flathead engine is running. As the video states many changes were made along the way to first correct my design miscalculations and second to get all the components of and internal combustion engine correct, spark, fuel and compression.
    I had the engine ready to go right after Christmas but didn't want to spend time in the cold garage trying to fine tune everything.
    The last couple of days saw temperatures in the low 80's here in Ohio so I had no more excuses not to try and get the engine running.
    Everything was hooked up, fuel ignition and wiring. I set the ignition timing to around 20 degrees advanced to get started. The fuel needle was just cracked so that I didn't load the plugs right off the bat.
    A short spin of the drill while adjusting the carb needle had the engine running on it's own. While running I made adjustments to the distributor but found the timing window was very narrow. A little too much one way or the other would stall the engine.
    I started the engine without coolant figuring that whatever changes would need to be made would only be complicated by draining coolant every time. When the engine seemed sorted out I then added coolant and found a few leaks, mainly from the hose clamps. The coolant was drained and the radiator removed so that I could modify the clamps to get a tighter squeeze on the hoses.
    I would eventually like to go back to the dual carb setup but for now I'm thrilled to have it running after almost 2 years, from inception to life.
    gbrtitnell
    https://youtu.be/694CKZlDyzg

Congratulations!! I was just thinking about you and this engine the other day. I had not seen any updates on the other site. So, I’m glad to see it running!

That is real craftsmanship!

Sid

Boy that's neat - it's really got a good sound to it and im actually very surprised at how low and steady the idle was sometimes as i know these little guys have flywheel proportion/effectiveness problemo's so nice to hear it humming a steady tune that low esp. towards the end of the vid after clearing its throat some...

what allot of high quality work you are to be commended once again G britnell

Beautiful!
    My head hurts just thinking of the astonishing amount of design time, calculations etc., never mind the actual machining time that must of went into a project of this magnitude.
    Very nice George, very nice indeed.
    Wish I could say more but words escape me at this moment in trying to describe my sentiments on the beauty of this project. Just wish I could see it in the flesh.
    Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
    Bad Decisions Make Good Stories

Very nice George. I always enjoy seeing your work. Knowing HOW you machine all your "castings" makes it even more impressive. Thanks for sharing.

Wow! That is way cool. You need to mount that in a go-kart.

Any idea on the approximate horsepower? Sounds bad-ass.

Outstanding ! There are a lot of model engine builders out there but few in the world with that level of skill. Truly admired.

Title of this thread sure brought back memories of the old 49-51 Ford days, the Cadillac V8 was a popular replacement in those Fords because the pan would clear the tie rod and guess what... they were dubbed Fordillacs.

Really nice job on that flat head, have always had a soft place in my heart for Ford flat heads, first car was a 50 Ford.

VERY NICE, you have made something that is a master piece. I love the sound, I had a few flathead Ford V8s back in the fifties.

WOW! What Willie said!