Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fordillac V-8 engine running, finally

Very Nice,your attention to detail is amazing.

Wow. What a lovely snarl to wake up to on a Sunday morning. I have sent links to all my gear head buddies.
    paul
    ARS W9PCS

Esto Vigilans

Remember, just because you can doesn't mean you should...
    but you may have to

I agree with what everyone else said. That is truly a high level of art and fine craftsmanship not seen much anymore. The engine sounds tight (no rattles) and runs smoothly. It is certainly a project to be proud of.

Love it George, great work as always. Thanks for posting this for us.

Impressive!

Have to agree with everyone else- that is a fine piece of craftsmanship. Sounds cool too!
    I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

San Diego, Ca *** Please let us know where you are from too.

What can you say ... sounds so good almost want to make it my ringtone. lol.

I notice that you do have a starter motor on it, Is it an off shelf item and will it actually start the engine. It looks
    perfect, and was just wondering.
    John Titor, when are you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Amick View Post
    What can you say ... sounds so good almost want to make it my ringtone. lol.

I notice that you do have a starter motor on it, Is it an off shelf item and will it actually start the engine. It looks
    perfect, and was just wondering.
    George mentions in the video that all of the bolt on components like starter, generator, and fuel pump are non functional but are scale replicas added to enhance the realism of the engine.
    You can also see him use a hand held drill inserted into the bellhousing in order to start the engine.
    Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
    Bad Decisions Make Good Stories

San Diego, Ca *** Please let us know where you are from too.

Thanks Willy ..

I actually watched the vid, but the list of accomplishments was so long that it must have gotten lost in my brain.

And I don't know if it would be cheating, but couldn't you put a very powerful off shelf motor inside a replicate casing
    of the starter motor .. and have it actually start the motor. Just think that would add coolness to it.
    John Titor, when are you.

A friend has an engine with a starter motor. It's out of scale but works fine. A high rpm motor from an RC car can be used but would need to be geared down considerably to get enough torque to start the engine. The dummy starter on this engine is just way too small to retrofit anything comparable.
    There are some model engines mounted on a box with the starter underneath. A toothed belt transmits rotation to a one-way bearing, which I also use. I have what looks like a clutch assembly bolted to the flywheel and in the clutch is my one-way bearing.
    gbritnell