Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New powerfeed for lathe - DC variable speed

Quote Originally Posted by dalee100 View Post
    Hi,

I have yet to see an electric powerfeed on a manual mill that can tell you what the exact feed rate is. Certainly Servo brand and it's clones don't. And if you cannot get a good sense of your feed rate by eye, you are pretty green indeed.
    Does not come up for me, since I do not have power feed on the mills. So I do it by feel and chip type.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

I don't have mill power feed either. When I'm concerned about chip load I look up the IPM and simply count off the seconds. My mill feeds .20 per rev, so 1 IPM should have me turning the wheel once every 12 seconds. 2 IPM = one rev every 6 seconds, etc.

For a fine finish on my lathe, I just make sure the feed per rev is a fraction of the radius on the cutter. It's easy to see if you are leaving grooves that need a slower feed. I can do a good, clean, smooth manual feed for most of an inch, then there is always a spot where it's obvious that I paused.

Dan
    Last edited by danlb; 04-15-2018 at 11:53 PM.
    Measure twice. Cut once. Weld. Repeat.
    ( Welding solves many problems.)

Quote Originally Posted by JCByrd24 View Post
    . . .To those mentioning a switch on the carriage keep in mind that this motor drives the rod, but the carriage mounted lever still engages longitudinal or cross feed, so that's unchanged.. . .
    And? If the rod stops, the feed stops so are you saying that the switch won't work?

Quote Originally Posted by danlb View Post
    For a fine finish on my lathe, I just make sure the feed per rev is a fraction of the radius on the cutter. ....
    Dan
    BINGO.

Dan has provided the reason for having at least a rough idea of what the feed is. While yes, you CAN obviously do trial and error, it seems so simple to work out a few settings and know going in that you are in the area you need to be in. It just makes sense.

Why would anyone argue AGAINST that? Some others seem actively OPPOSED to knowing the feed, which makes no sense to me. A little testing, and you have the numbers.

The manufacturers DID put the numbers on the QCB chart, and milling machines that have built-in power feed usually have dials showing the feed, which they did not put on there just as an artistic design.... I am not talking about cheap chinese stuff, but industrial equipment.

To each their own. I would have a chart up for those times when I did care, and for everyday use as well.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

Dials showing the feed? How about 1-10 on the most popular mill types ? Actual feed numbers are great for cnc, but on manual machines?

Reminds me of a quote : "Knowledge comes from reading; experience come from observation"; you figure out your feeds real quick, and rarely by timing or counting.
    Last edited by lakeside53; 04-16-2018 at 01:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lakeside53 View Post
    Dials showing the feed? How about 1-10 on the most popular mill types ? Actual feed numbers are great for cnc, but on manual machines?

Reminds me of a quote : "Knowledge comes from reading; experience come from observation"; you figure out your feeds real quick, and rarely by timing or counting.
    While I can't say you are wrong, we are home shop types. Sometimes months pass between using a particular machine. I can't trust my memory of what feels righgt, so I need charts of speeds and feeds to get close to the right settings. Sort of like the way welders use charts (based on past experience) or approved WPS (Welding procedure specifications) to make sure that the weldment will be right on the first try.

I no longer try to remember all the formulas and constants that I use in the shop. Two mills, two lathes, several welders, Many power saws and you expect ME to remember the proper settings for anything? Not going to happen.

Dan
    Last edited by danlb; 04-16-2018 at 12:42 PM.
    Measure twice. Cut once. Weld. Repeat.
    ( Welding solves many problems.)

Quote Originally Posted by lakeside53 View Post
    Dials showing the feed? How about 1-10 on the most popular mill types ? .....
    Machines with gearbox feeds.... large industrial mills, not a Rong Fu with an add-on PWM feed box.
    Last edited by J Tiers; 04-16-2018 at 02:15 AM.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

oh.. so now you redefine your statement to mills that are not typical HSM? This entire conversion started about dc drive non-synchronous power feeds, not gear feeds!

BP are not Rong Fu, and probably the most populous "real" mill after clones are counted. Many in HSM hands. Servo Power feeds and its clones are 1-10. Rong etc.. likely not much different
    Last edited by lakeside53; 04-16-2018 at 02:18 AM.

I am sorry. I did not read everyone's post. I did see some. I only have two lathes that I can play with, My 40's south bend and my 40's monarch.

Two completely different machines.

My SB is my go to lathe. My 10ee is a lil scary to be honest. The power.

She is good for everything within her short range.

Its like the smoothest sewing machine.

You can dial her down to 55RPM or smoothly ramp it up to 4000RPM.

She is such a big butted girl she does not move at 4k.

At 4000 RPM the 10ee still sounds like it turned off. Its the wind noise from the chuck that gives it away.

I am not kidding. If you get a chance to drive a 10EE do it.
    My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Quote Originally Posted by chipmaker4130 View Post
    And? If the rod stops, the feed stops so are you saying that the switch won't work?
    It'd work fine, but it was mentioned in the context of having to reach to my switch at the tailstock end to stop the feed, which isn't true. The factory feed lever on the apron still does that, similar to if using the original power feed through the gear train. So there is no gain from mounting that switch on the apron.

Some sort of stop/microswitch setup that stops the feed at a shoulder or something was also discussed, and that would be an added capability.