Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: HF High Speed Metal Saw Help

32tpi blade. It can find it's way to barely even start on 22ga let alone 10ga.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin R View Post
    Try stripping it down and give it a good clean, I've had a couple of air tools that came over lubed and wouldn't work properly, one from grease and the other thick oil.
    ^This.^ I found when my seldom used air tools started to "hang up" if I ran a bunch of alcohol through it to wash out the residue that formed as the oil dried up and then reoiled them they would perform much better. I've also seen really cheap quality air die grinders that wouldn't run but after taking them apart, cleaning them and making sure everything rotated smoothly without getting pinched when all buttoned up , they were usable.

I have one and it gos back and forth so fast it burns the teeth off the blades. If you slow it down enough to make the blades last then it doesn't have much power. I never found a happy medium. I just use the electric sawsall instead.

It could be out of adjustment. There is a screw on mine located on the side opposite the valve handle. It is recessed into a larger nut. Mine is very sensitive to the position of this adjustment. The sweet spot is very limited.

I will say that mine is pretty weak even at it's best and I always oil it before use, as well as having a more than enough compressor. I have used it so far mainly for trimming fiberglass. I does ok for this, but will hang up easily.

HF air tools are a far cry from really good name brand tools. I used a HF die grinder for years before buying a good IR grinder. The power difference is like daylight and dark. I have read on other sites that it is the same with the air saws. Good ones (read expensive) are many times more powerful than the HF versions.

So, are the HF tools just not given the proper clearances to give the power when originally machined? I too have the die grinders that when the air is lower than full PSI can stall. Would it be possible to open it up and work it over for better torque?
    I know it is a HF tool, but if he needs it to do a job and the tool funds are spent, a rework of the tool might be the answer.

Just me thinking outside of the box on this one, and totally understanding the tool budget situation.

TX
    Mr fixit for the family
    Chris

Much of what HF sells appears to be reverse engineered in China so the dimensions may be off from what the original designer intended. They also probably have a very generous tolerance on the parts to keep rejects to a minimum (if they even have rejects). Air tools require finely fitted parts for good function. When you stir in the general Chinese lack of quality control, it's a wonder they work at all. It also explains why some folks get great service out of HF tools while others don't. They just luck out and get a good one with better sized parts.

I use HF air tools because for the price, they serve ok for my limited use, but if I had to depend on my tools to make a living, they wouldn't be in my tool box.
    Last edited by Bluechips; 04-30-2018 at 02:11 PM.

Bought one once. Wouldn’t even cycle, let alone cut thin sheet metal. Took it back and have not revisited the air saw thing, as the nibbler I bought at the same time worked perfectly.

Bigger dia hose, biggest tail id you can fit, that’s about all you can do, air tools usually arrive with fittings that seem to starve them of air, sometimes the exhaust silencer can choke them too, like slowing an air cylinder speed with a restrictor valve, I recently bought a new air pop riveter, I had no problems with my old geisepa riveter, it would pull the biggest stainless and steel rivets no effort, the new one was struggling with med Ali rivets, disappointing (as was the sander that seems to need 14 cfm on its own)
    My old sander was (very old) atlas copco, the new ones came from our version of horror freight, called machine mart, not very good, couple of weeks later I found some better Chinese ones at a supermarket called Lidl, not brilliant but better, the tail fitting was clearly bigger though for all intents apart from Color it was hard to tell them apart.
    I found all my air hoses were small 1/4”, I now use 1/2, except the riveter which seems happier on a 3/8 coily thing once the exhaust silencer had been removed and replaced with a screw on plastic blue foam bulb thing from martinair.
    I think I need a bigger compressor, these portable 25 litre things aren’t much good, it won’t run a sandblast gun at all ( the little pot ones that look like a spray gun) let alone a glove box.
    The blades you get with these air saws a crap too, they look like they got punched out of scrap hand saws, good ones are getting hard to find, oil or wax helps I’ve found but that’s counter productive if your tig welding Ali!
    Mark

Update.... After having to resort to a bare hacksaw blade operated by hand to get into a couple tight spots last week, I bit the bullet and got a new saw. I went with the Astro 930 through Amazon for $63. I like the flange/punch tool from them that I recently purchased and the reciprocating air saw has not disappointed either. Worked perfect out of the box and zips through 18ga sheet with no problem. Says it will go up to 1.6mm material but I'd bet it goes further than that. We'll see how long it lasts but initial impressions are very positive.

Boslab's point about hose diameter is spot on. Air tools need volume, not just pressure, and 1/4" hoses strangle the poor things. My rattle gun (impact wrench) simply wouldn't work at all on 1/4" hose, but it's perfectly happy with 3/8".
    As for portable reciprocating saws, I have a mains-powered Chinese-made beast, and the blades that came with it are absolute crap—the teeth disappeared in ten seconds flat. I managed to find some USA-made blades (to my considerable surprise), and one of those cut through 1 1/4" 4140 bar twice without even raising a sweat.