Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HF High Speed Metal Saw Help

Default HF High Speed Metal Saw Help

https://www.harborfreight.com/high-s...saw-91753.html

Has anyone got one that could be made to work? Mine is a POS. Stops running at the slightest cutting pressure. I'd like to know if there is a hack to improve performance, if not I'll toss it and move on. I've got a ton of auto body sheet metal work to do and a tool like this can get into spots that a disc grinder can't. Would be nice to save it but I've no time to suffer fools in this respect. I don't expect it to be perfect but it is less than worthless as-is.
    Last edited by gzig5; 04-29-2018 at 11:47 PM. Reason: corrected link

Link isn't to any kind of saw!!!!

THANX RICH
    People say I'm getting crankier as I get older. That's not it. I just find I enjoy annoying people a lot more now. Especially younger people!!!

That link takes me to an exhaust resonator...

-js

Could be your POS compressor doesn't put out enough air. Mine works great using cut-down hacksaw blades and has for the last ~15 years. The trick is to keep the wire guard against the material being cut. A little cutting oil helps too for thicker steel. I've cut 3/8" flats with it.

I'm assuming you have used air tool oil in it.

The real link: https://www.harborfreight.com/high-s...saw-91753.html
    Last edited by CCWKen; 04-29-2018 at 09:33 PM. Reason: Addition

Quote Originally Posted by CCWKen View Post
    Could be your POS compressor doesn't put out enough air. Mine works great using cut-down hacksaw blades and has for the last ~15 years. The trick is to keep the wire guard against the material being cut. A little cutting oil helps too for thicker steel. I've cut 3/8" flats with it.

I'm assuming you have used air tool oil in it.

The real link: https://www.harborfreight.com/high-s...saw-91753.html
    HEY! That was one of the first air tools I bought from HF back around ~2004. I think I used it with a basic oil-less Husky Air Compressor that I bought from HD. I think I used to cut off bolts with it but I don't remember. I think one of the items I bought shorty after was the HF 4x6 bandsaw. That's when I think the metal illness began. Good times!
    Work hard play hard

If you buy tools at HF you have to expect duds. Take it back and get your money back.

Sorry. Too many irons in the fire. Link fixed. BTW... I can recommend the resonators, but not the saw. Compressor is fine and runs all my other air tools without issues. This thing stops well before any reasonable pressure drop, pretty much as soon as the cut starts it stops moving. Sometimes it might go 1/8"-1/4" in 20ga but then you have to manually fiddle with it to get it to move again. Rinse and repeat. I use oil in the feed line. I think I got a lemon. Was hoping there might be a trick to save it. The other options are 4x-5x more expensive and I've tapped my tool budget for the foreseeable future. I know they work for some people, just not me.
    I've had it for years but never really tried to use it till now when I need it. I doubt they'll take it back.
    Last edited by gzig5; 04-29-2018 at 11:56 PM.

Try stripping it down and give it a good clean, I've had a couple of air tools that came over lubed and wouldn't work properly, one from grease and the other thick oil.

Quote Originally Posted by metalmagpie View Post
    If you buy tools at HF you have to expect duds. Take it back and get your money back.
    I think the only time I actually returned something was when I decided to buy a bunch of HF tool chests. This was before I had any tool chests and I ordered 5 sets and when they arrived almost all of them were damaged or dented, etc. I was so disappointed and called HF about the problem and they picked them all back up for a full refund. I then went to Sears and bought my 1st 5 sets of craftsman tool boxes which I still have. But I would have had 5 sets of the cheaper crap HF tool chests except they luckily got damaged in shipment so I returned them. The higher quality HF tool chests are great, but the low low end ones are garbage.
    Work hard play hard

"Was hoping there might be a trick to save it."

It's possible that you are simply using the wrong saw for the work you are doing. I assume that your compressor is rated for 4 CFM @ 90 PSI, right? If so, the next question is the type of metal you are cutting.

If you are cutting thin metal such as the resonator that was linked in the first post, then you want a fine tooth blade. A coarse blade will catch and jam. Thin sheet cuts easiest with a backing material so that it does not chatter. Rule of thumb is that you want a blade where 2 - 3 teeth are in the cut at all times for optimal cutting.
    Measure twice. Cut once. Weld. Repeat.
    ( Welding solves many problems.)