Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Way OT, Possibly in a galaxy far, far away: Peeve’s about movies and TV shows.

Default Way OT, Possibly in a galaxy far, far away: Peeve’s about movies and TV shows.

Not to cut into the Favorite Movies thread, so what is your biggest pet peeve in movies/TV?

1. Evil minions that can't hit anyone, even with unlimited ammo.

2. Good guys with magazines that never need reloading

3. Grenades that have 30 second fuses and when they detonate throw fire balls 100 feet down hallways.

4. 110# women that can beat the crap out of six 250# steroid induced cage fighters, all at once.

5. Prop masters that get everything wrong. IE: wrong uniforms, wrong guns, wrong vehicles, etc. I watched a doc re-enactment on WW2 that had a US solder wearing modern pants, a British shirt and a German helmet.

6. Documentary re-enactments. Nuf said.

7. Scrips that use “copy that” and “huu wa” all the time.

8. The guy/girl that gets shot in the shoulder, gets up and shakes it off and goes on fighting. The wound track would probably destroy the shoulder and he/she would bleed out from the big hole in his/her back while going into shock.

9. An explosion from C-4 or equivalent high explosive that makes a 50' high fireball. They don’t do that. Gasoline explosions do.

10. Scrips writers that don’t have a clue about what they are writing.

And worst of all FAKE LAUGH TRACKS.

Any others?
    The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Science premise shows that just plain get the science wrong.
    *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

All of the above and:
    10000001. American "documents" that are aimed for the brain-dead below-average-joe. Nuff said.

Heroes that have career/life ending issues. In the old days, the good guys didn't have problems with drugs, booze, women, gambling, or corruption. They just rounded up the bad guys in 55 minutes. Now, all of the major players on crime dramas have all sorts of serious issues of their own. I'm trying to escape reality, not watch it.

I sometimes wonder about some of the things they do on crime shows. Do they really call a gun shot wound a 'GSW'? That's two more syllables than the non-abbreviated form. When they enter a crime scene, why don't they turn on the lights? They search the whole house with flashlights. Are that many CSI's smokin' hot blondes? Shouldn't they wear a hair net to avoid contaminating the crime scene? Do they really wear plunging necklines when on the job?

Failing to adequately disguise that a gutted 6 cyl, single exhaust wreck has been substituted in place of the fire-breathing, ultra desirable hero car for the roll-over, sail-off-cliff-tumble-end-over-end-down-hill, splash-into-the-bay money shots.

Never an issue in H.B. "Toby" Halicki's movies ...
    "There's a place for us,
    A special place for us.
    Perspiration and chaos and sulfurous air
    Wait for us
    Somewhere."

(Apologies to Stephen Sondheim who wrote the lyrics and Leonard Bernstein who wrote the music to Somewhere from Westside Story.)

Quote Originally Posted by MushCreek View Post
    Heroes that have career/life ending issues. In the old days, the good guys didn't have problems with drugs, booze, women, gambling, or corruption. They just rounded up the bad guys in 55 minutes. Now, all of the major players on crime dramas have all sorts of serious issues of their own. I'm trying to escape reality, not watch it.

I sometimes wonder about some of the things they do on crime shows. Do they really call a gun shot wound a 'GSW'? That's two more syllables than the non-abbreviated form. When they enter a crime scene, why don't they turn on the lights? They search the whole house with flashlights. Are that many CSI's smokin' hot blondes? Shouldn't they wear a hair net to avoid contaminating the crime scene? Do they really wear plunging necklines when on the job?
    Which one you wanted?

Same here, I can't stand the endless drama and soap opera on every crime/police/action series nowadays.

Anyone notice that in CSI Miami it is always sunny and never raining but pretty often streets are still wet after the rain?

I'm traumatized for life: Been sick whole week and watching tv has been about maximum effort I can pull off. What TV has to offer has been much the same as my life during this week: ****ty **** (norovirus)

Quote Originally Posted by MushCreek View Post
    I sometimes wonder about some of the things they do on crime shows. ... Are that many CSI's smokin' hot blondes? Do they really wear plunging necklines when on the job?
    Cagney & Lacey. Mannix. Rockford. Hill Street Blues. Kojack. Streets of San Francisco, Get Christie Love ...

All of those shows featured actors considered attractive or at least photogenic (Karl Malden).

Compared to actors I see family members watching on Netflix ect (Scandal, whatever the name is of that hot-bods florida cop show where women and men are improbably buff and amazingly vacuous), the actors in the old shows look and dress like regular folks.
    "There's a place for us,
    A special place for us.
    Perspiration and chaos and sulfurous air
    Wait for us
    Somewhere."

(Apologies to Stephen Sondheim who wrote the lyrics and Leonard Bernstein who wrote the music to Somewhere from Westside Story.)

Forgot one.

History shows that use film clips of real battles etc. but are completely wrong for the particular historic point that is being talked about.

Movies/TV that show fighters taking off to intercept the enemy and then use clips of 3 or 4 different types of aircraft are used to show the flight scenes for the same aircraft.
    The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Quote Originally Posted by loose nut View Post
    Any others?
    the endless simpleton regurgitated plot lines......seems like 99% of the scripts are the same 5 cliches. TV otoh, the higher budget 1 hour dramas, has imo become a superior product.

I suppose movies are serving their market, people seem to love them and they makes lots of money
    Last edited by Mcgyver; 05-11-2018 at 05:27 PM.

Odd uses of stock (canned) footage bugs me sometimes. Like the "McMillian and Wife" episode where the bad guy pulled out from in front of a distinctive building, drove across town and parked in front of the same building.

I read something about "if you see a white Jaguar in a car chase, it will go off a cliff". Sure enough, watching a "Rockford files" a few hours later there was a white XKE on windy mountain road and.... it went off a cliff. It seems that there was a company that would rent the Jaguar to film companies if they bought the stock footage of the car crash.

Thanks to the internet, we often play "where's that" when we see a unique feature in a TV movie. You can often find it in minutes if you can spot a street sign with cross streets. Sometimes just a unique business name is enough to find it with google and google maps. "B&B House Of Java" is in Belgium, not Germany, BTW.
    Measure twice. Cut once. Weld. Repeat.
    ( Welding solves many problems.)