Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Way OT, Possibly in a galaxy far, far away: Peeve’s about movies and TV shows.

if we are going to talk about consistency, talk stardates. they are all over the place. you can't find a stardate to gregorian calendar, because they are so inconsistent star trek fans can't find a pattern

there were numerous Enterprises, NCC 1701, and -A, -B, -C, -D, -E, AND -J

Quote Originally Posted by Blazemaster83 View Post
    I have a TV in the shop and like to have it on in the background since I work alone mostly, but it is 99% crap.
    My initial reaction was that a DVD player and a selection of race action, build-it, documentary, live concert performance videos might be an answer.

My mind strayed to the now-defunct "Smart Flix" DVD rental service that featured expensive technical/trade-focused DVD series by mail for a modest fee.

Then a use for YouTube's usually annoying Auto-Play feature occured to me. Configure YT to filter for machining content or whatever, and stream this content randomly to your shop TV. Ideally, a play list would be automatically logged for reference later if there was something you wanted to replay but were too busy at an activity to turn away from in the moment.

Now THAT could be enjoyable background entertainment. Some content would be accompanied by advertising - if complementary to the video subject matter and not for totally inappropriate products/services, resentment would be lessened.
    "Bogey on our six, painting us NOW."

"Deploy chaff on my mark & be ready with the flares."
    "I'm taking this crate down into the canyons."

TV watching, living room: Xena with the sound turned down on OTA, postwar harmonica blues on youtube, some DVD that's the third replacement for a VHS tape grinding away with the sound turned down, and the video surveillance wall of glass

TV watching, workshop: front yard & driveway surveillance only.

It's probably not a good idea to have videos playing in the shop with machining content, or even any sort of commentary. It could be distracting, and sounds of machining might interfere with attention to sounds your own machining was making. I think the best might be classical, or classic rock, or oldies, or whatever "floats your boat".

Two items that I pick out on the older shows, All cars use a mopar gear reduction starter sound track and a lot of shows reuse the Bullitt sound track for high speed cars. I think it was Buck Rodgers that had a rocket that sounded like a Ford Tri-Motor and looked like a tube with a sparkler up its backside.

lg
    no neat sig line

We watched 'Little Women' the other night on PBS. Supposedly by the same people as 'Call The Midwife', it was a far cry in quality. Most of it was in winter, and every surface was plastered in snow- all around the tree trunks, on the house, etc. Did they have a snow tornado?

Another one I thought of was a show that we used to watch- Something to do with the Pinkerton private detectives in the 1800's? At any rate, all of the interior scenes had kerosene lamps. No big deal, except every single one had soot on the chimney. Anyone who has ever used a kerosene lamp soon learns how to prevent this. When I was a kid, we had a summer cottage with no electricity, so we used kerosene lamps. If you screwed around and sooted up the chimney, Mom made you clean it. I'm sure in the 1800's, people knew how to use a kerosene lamp!

Gees Mush, Little Women, you need to spend more time in the shop.
    The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Quote Originally Posted by MushCreek View Post
    We watched 'Little Women' the other night on PBS. Supposedly by the same people as 'Call The Midwife', it was a far cry in quality. Most of it was in winter, and every surface was plastered in snow- all around the tree trunks, on the house, etc. Did they have a snow tornado?

Another one I thought of was a show that we used to watch- Something to do with the Pinkerton private detectives in the 1800's? At any rate, all of the interior scenes had kerosene lamps. No big deal, except every single one had soot on the chimney. Anyone who has ever used a kerosene lamp soon learns how to prevent this. When I was a kid, we had a summer cottage with no electricity, so we used kerosene lamps. If you screwed around and sooted up the chimney, Mom made you clean it. I'm sure in the 1800's, people knew how to use a kerosene lamp!
    Audiences expect and have certain perception of era(s) and objects. The soot shows them it's a "genuine kero lamp" otherwise it could be a fake with a flame tipped bulb and a flicker box. You're expecting reality in an entertainment show, it's not supposed to be a period re-enactment. It's mindless entertainment, not an attempt at an accurate to the last detail documentary.

Peeve - the obligatory racking the slide, pumping the shotgun, or working the lever of a rifle no matter there is a live round already in the chamber.

Back in the beginning of television there was a show called Captain Video. A guy with his teen sidekick. It was an innovative (and ridiculous) show about the future and space travel. There was one episode where they parachuted down to a planet and then came up with a way to reverse their parachutes to get back to the ship . The show had a robot called Tobor (clever) which was a really tall person in the robot suit. Since the show was live and in order to change scenes, they would show part of a movie while they worked; sometimes a cowboy movie, lol. The rocket scenes would have the "rocket" on a string which could be seen and smoke rising from the back even though they were in space. I think their prop budget was something like $20-$30 dollars............. a week. Good times.

"And worst of all FAKE LAUGH TRACKS."

I refuse to watch any TV with canned laughter. Apparently it doesn't bother others so much though.

My wife and I went to a movie theater that's very near a large university. We noticed even the most minor humorous parts triggered the short bursts of canned type laughter from the mostly student audience. We guessed it was a learned response from watching too many sitcoms on TV. It sure was irritating.