Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Keeping Silicone From Hardening At The End Of The Tube

Quote Originally Posted by gzig5 View Post
    I put a long deck screw down the spout that will reach into the body of the tube. Then I wrap electrical tape around the spout and screw, careful to not leave gaps. If it does harden before I next use it, pulling out the screw usually clears the dried plug and allows further use of the goop.
    This has always worked for me also but I but the caulking gun tubes not the squeeze tubes. When I started in the lumber business on co-op light years ago I sold a little old ladie a caulking tube osroof sealant for her shed roof which she brought back a few days later mas as h*ll with the tube all smashed in a grocery bag. She said she squeezed & squeezed & nothing came out so she stomped on it & it all shot out the back. Of course she was right so I gave her a new on, set it up in a caulk gun cut the tube, gave her a 20 common nail & sent he on her way. Never assume anything.
    You can lead people to knowledge but you can't make them think.
    "Lead, follow, or get out of the way." George Patton
    "I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves".
    Ronald Reagan

Caulk Savers work well. I think I paid a buck each at HF last time I bought some.
    https://www.caulksaver.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Puckdropper View Post
    Little Red Caps are my favorite. They look like little condoms and install on the hard tip of the caulking tube similarly. They give me about a year preserving liquid nails. One per tube, every time they're used they get a little looser. The tube is usually gone by the 3rd or 4th removal, and that's about the time they've loosened up to the point of being useless.
    Little?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by challenger View Post
    Little?
    That's so you don't confuse them with the real thing!

Never tried this, but how about storing those tubes spout down in a container of fluid other than water- mineral oil perhaps. Sure, you'd have to wipe off the oil before use, but I bet you could just drop the tube in without even putting a cap on it. The first wipe gets most of the oil off, and the second wipe gets rid of the first bit of the product when you re-start the tube.

Since most of those tubes have a similar plastic spout, you could probably formulate a suitable fluid that would repel off the spout when you removed it from the holder, making the first cleanup quick and painless. This fluid would also tend to remain completely separate from the product that you're squirting, so it could potentially be an excellent 'capping' method.

A container and holder for several caulking tubes could be made from square pipe. Drill a series of holes along one side into which you can poke the tips of the various tubes. This side becomes the top, you cap both ends and mostly fill with fluid. Mount it level to a wall and just arrange to keep the tubes from falling over.

All this depend of course on whether a suitable fluid can be found or made to act as a perfect seal, and not react with any of the products.
    I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    Caulk Savers work well. I think I paid a buck each at HF last time I bought some.
    https://www.caulksaver.com/
    I've never seen those before. Thanks......

I rarely have an issue with the caulking gun cartridges because I usually cut the nozzle back far enough to open up a 3/8" hole or larger. Even when the nozzle plugs cures all the way down I can still manage to pull it through the hole or squeeze the trigger hard enough to push it out. With a small squeeze tube and a small hole you can't do that.

JL.............
    Last edited by JoeLee; 05-16-2018 at 08:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Puckdropper View Post
    Little Red Caps are my favorite. They look like little condoms and install on the hard tip of the caulking tube similarly. They give me about a year preserving liquid nails. One per tube, every time they're used they get a little looser. The tube is usually gone by the 3rd or 4th removal, and that's about the time they've loosened up to the point of being useless.
    presumably something like this: https://www.mcmaster.com/#caps/=1cv73gj

Vinyl dip-molded caps, aka "rat rubbers". Probably would work.... thanks for the idea.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

Has anyone in the world ever been able to use the entire contents of one of the small tubes of silicone if kept over a period of months or longer?
    Brilliant marketing.
    Even when using the tiny rubbers I get maybe 1:10 to the end.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Challenger, That's the whole point, we are a disposable society and it's expected by the Companies (more sales) that we toss the leftover vs us who are the savers, scapers, resourceful ones in the world to use it all as often as possible. I too use the wire nut idea and have good success.

TX
    Mr fixit for the family
    Chris

I am in the UK, all our tubes have removable nozzles.