Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Safety Reminder

Default Safety Reminder

Gang: Just had a reminder, we lost a young machinist here, a really nice guy the hard way. He as having some health issues, probably more than enough by them selves like having pneumonia and was getting back up to speed, and several weeks ago got caught in the lathe and wrapped up in it.
    They flew him to Denver to big hospital and did every thing they could but he didn't make it. It can happen to anyone- be careful please!

My thoughts are with the young man's co-workers, the first responders and family members.

Perhaps examination of contributing factors will result in changes leading to less likelihood of a recurrance at that site and elsewhere.
    "There's a place for us,
    A special place for us.
    Perspiration and chaos and sulfurous air
    Wait for us
    Somewhere."

(Apologies to Stephen Sondheim who wrote the lyrics and Leonard Bernstein who wrote the music to Somewhere from Westside Story.)

Sorry to be reading this. My thoughts go out to all those involved also.

Sadly it sounds like he was not fully recovered and should not have been back on the machine. One would think that companies would have some lighter non-machine jobs for those who are coming back from a harsh sickness of that sort and depth. It only takes an instant of lost focus for it to go so horribly wrong.

I have found for myself fatigue invites accidents. If he was recovering from illness he was probably, at the very least, fatigued. He should have been assigned to less hazardous work until fully recovered.

All true, sad he was very good at what he did and will be sorely missed and a heck of a nice person. Gosh getting sucked into a machine just never happens, ive been around lathes all my life and never even been where any one had been grabbed. Just thought it might not hurt to do a reminder!

Quote Originally Posted by im#2 View Post
    Gosh getting sucked into a machine just never happens, I've been around lathes all my life and never even been where anyone had been grabbed. Just thought it might not hurt to do a reminder!
    With respect, particularly at this time so soon after the loss of your acquaintance, industrial accidents where workers get pulled into machinery happen all too frequently.

Close calls that only get around by word of mouth; maiming only noted in regional news w/ the euphemism "non-life threatening injuries", even word about fatalities has limited reach - unless there are especially news-worthy circumstances. The case of Michele Dufault at Yale in 2011 comes to mind. There is no shortage of harrowing footage on social media like YT, if you look.

I would likely not have known about the accident in eastern Colorado if you or someone here hadn't posted.

As you intended, posting about it will help bring safe practices forefront to mind when I am working.
    Last edited by EddyCurr; 05-15-2018 at 09:11 PM.
    "There's a place for us,
    A special place for us.
    Wait for us
    Somewhere."

(Apologies to Stephen Sondheim who wrote the lyrics and Leonard Bernstein who wrote the music to Somewhere from Westside Story.)

"There's a place for us,
    A special place for us.
    Wait for us
    Somewhere."

[QUOTE=EddyCurr;1176783]In just a few minutes of searching. Far too many in my opinion.

Far too many, yes one is too many, even living through it would be terrible! Be safe gang!

There was a picture online of a guy in China (I think) who had gotten wrapped up in a lathe, it might still be online for all I know, but I don't want to see it again. It almost made me throw up. He was wearing a dark blue lab coat much the same as the one I used to wear. The coat had gotten caught on a big piece of shafting which was being turned on a large, but not that large, lathe. I would guess from the picture as I recall it that the lathe was maybe 26" X 72". Jesus Christ!!! What a way to go.

I think everyone needs to see some of these videos. They're sad and gruesome, but it's a bitter pill that anyone who wants to work with rotating machines needs. Just wearing a glove while using a benchtop drill press, if your hand gets caught, could break all your fingers. Not a fatal injury, but it could change your life for the worse.

My condolences to the family of the young man who was killed.