Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Safety Reminder

Quote Originally Posted by mattthegamer463 View Post
    I think everyone needs to see some of these videos. They're sad and gruesome, but it's a bitter pill that anyone who wants to work with rotating machines needs. Just wearing a glove while using a benchtop drill press, if your hand gets caught, could break all your fingers. Not a fatal injury, but it could change your life for the worse.

My condolences to the family of the young man who was killed.
    If you're wearing a glove or ring, more likely you hand gets avulsed or degloved.
    http://traumahand.blogspot.com/2012/...le-finger.html
    http://www.ijps.org/articles/2011/44...7_85344_f4.jpg

I nearly lost a hand in some rollers once. That place had no breaks for it's workers and long hours with night shifts. I'm glad I don't work in a factory like that because someone will fall foul of it and turn their hand (and possibly arm) into meat lasagna pretty quick.

One from the home shop: don't leave the the chuck key in the chuck when you start the drill press! It flew across the room and disappeared into another dimension. I moved everything looking for it but it has disappeared without trace. It must be the shop gods punishing me for my stupidity. Fortunately they didn't take my spare.

In the past in some other forums, I saw threads where members went off about OSHA regulations, inspections and penalties. I disagreed.

Speaking of penalties. I came across a 2013 fatality of Cameron Minshull, a 16 yo apprentice placed into a wholly unsuitable commercial work site in Bury, UK by an agency acting for a government-funded training program. Mr Minshull died one month after starting the placement.

An article states that besides modifying equipment to bypass/eliminate safety features and providing little if any training or supervision, the site practice was to assign apprentices wearing (adult-sized?) shop coveralls to use rags to clean objects that were turning in lathes.

Man jailed over 16-year-old apprentice's lathe death in Bury 2015.07.15

Company and its senior management sentenced following death of 16 year old apprentice 2015.07.14

The 59 yo employer was sentenced to 8 mo in jail and disqualified from being a company director for 10 years. His son, a company supervisor was sentenced to 4 mo in jail, suspended for 12 months, ordered to carry out 200 hours unpaid work and fined $US 4k ( 3k). Each were ordered to pay court costs of $US 20.2k ( 15k).

Their company admitted to charges of Corporate Manslaughter and was fined $US 202,250 (150k). The placement agency was fined $US 101k (75k) for placing the young man in a dangerous workplace - it was also required to pay court costs of $US 33.7k ( 25k).
    Last edited by EddyCurr; 05-16-2018 at 11:57 AM.
    "There's a place for us,
    A special place for us.
    Perspiration and chaos and sulfurous air
    Wait for us
    Somewhere."

(Apologies to Stephen Sondheim who wrote the lyrics and Leonard Bernstein who wrote the music to Somewhere from Westside Story.)

Quote Originally Posted by EddyCurr View Post
    [much text]
    The UK is an odd one. With all the regulation there is still a vast range of standards in working environments. Central to some of the worst ones is a machismo attached to the crappy work environment, fostered by promoting only from within, so everyone has gone in as a young lad to be told by those above him that it's just the way it is. We all have to eat a few turd sandwiches and do some miserable jobs when we start out, but that doesn't mean they have to be done in an incredibly dangerous environment. I've turned down jobs because of some horrendous and apparently deliberate oversights and it seems bizarre to me that this is still the ase in 2018. I don't think over-zealous regulation, or more regulation of any kind is the answer, at least not from government, because it just doesn't work. Agreed upon standards within industry itself are the way forward, and telling younger people they have a choice, that there are good employers out there who take the wellbeing of their employees seriously. After all, as an employee you are an asset, and on top of that, noon wants a law suit. However, in a number of places I've been faced with the attitude that those that don't "stick it out" are just workshy, cowards, or both. There is merit in telling your employer to stuff it.