Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OT What type of adhesive?

Default OT What type of adhesive?

I neede to glue/fasten a piece of 1 1/4" thick quartz (similar to granite) counter top material to a concrete wall to make a base for a life sized bronze statue.
    It will be outdoors so it needs to be weatherproof.
    I also need long life and high strength.
    I don't think I can bolt it down because the top surface needs to be smooth and I don't want stress riser holes in the quartz
    Question is, what sort of adhesive will work the best?
    Bill
    I cut it off twice and it's still too short!

Sikaflex polyurethane adhesive sealant would be my choice.
    If you benefit from the Dunning-Kruger Effect you may not even know it ;-)

Pretty much any adhesive will fail eventually outside, whether because it actually fails, or because water penetrates one of the surfaces and deteriorates the material it is bonded to (concrete, in this case).

Why does it need to be glued to the wall? If the piece sits on the ground for support, and is just being sealed to the wall (I assume that is what you mean), that's one thing. If you are trying to hold it up off the ground with adhesive, I'd forget about it, it's not a good use.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

Quote Originally Posted by J Tiers View Post
    ...If you are trying to hold it up off the ground with adhesive, I'd forget about it, it's not a good use...
    If the piece you want to attach to the wall is the base how are you attaching the statue itself to the base? How much does the entire
    assembly weigh? If you really are trying to hang the piece off a wall you're going to need some sort of mechanical connection...
    Keith

Loctite sells some epoxy for wet conditions. That might work.
    ----------
    Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
    Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
    There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
    Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Hey Bill,

Try drilling mounting holes that align with the bronze mounting locations. Maybe make a double ended bolt, even a wood screw to machine screw to mount the bronze work, then all is still concealed. This way you have machining and art in the same project.

TX

Mr fixit for the family
    Chris

I would suggest sodium silicate, (water glass,) from your local lapidary supply. After it sets up, run a bead of silicone caulking around the edge of the slab to prevent any moisture getting in at the edges.
    Duffy, Gatineau, Quebec

whatever you decide, I would ask on the forum before buying anything, from the looks of this threadhttp://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/thr...nd-Of-The-Tubethese guys have plenty of options stored up.

I always keep a tube of this stuff around in clear and black. It's 10 times stronger than regular silicone.

http://eclecticproducts.com/products/e6000.html

JL.............

Quote Originally Posted by JoeLee View Post
    I always keep a tube of this stuff around in clear and black. It's 10 times stronger than regular silicone.

http://eclecticproducts.com/products/e6000.html

JL.............
    I've used e6000 extensively. Biggest problem with it is that it 'creeps' when hot if there is the slightest side-load. Doesn't have to be real hot either.