Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: OT What type of adhesive?

1 1/4 thick quartz to hold up a "life size" statue on what sure sounds like an unsupported "shelf".......

This is still not enough information. How big is your 1 1/4" thick shelf going to be? How heavy is the life size statue? Is it a full size human shape or is it an honored family favorite pet hamster?

Assuming it is something far larger than a hamster in bronze I'd say that I would not trust any sort of glue by itself. At the very least I'd pin into the concrete wall and extend those large steel pins out into the quartz shelf. Even if you find a glue which is compatible with the concrete and the quartz 1 1/4" isn't a lot of "base" and the tensile load along the top of the quartz shelf will be extremely high. Possibly high enough to spall out the concrete of the wall you want to glue the shelf onto and see it all in the ground. Concrete is great for compression. But not so great for tensile loads. Thus why they fill it with re-bar.

In any event I'd suggest we need more information. The glue itself isn't the issue. Clearly the others have lots of options for things that stick well to concrete and quartz. But the issue is if the concrete or quartz themselves can withstand the load. You may need to include some quartz or other material shelf brackets.

Quote Originally Posted by BCRider View Post
    1 1/4 thick quartz to hold up a "life size" statue on what sure sounds like an unsupported "shelf".......

This is still not enough information. How big is your 1 1/4" thick shelf going to be? How heavy is the life size statue? Is it a full size human shape or is it an honored family favorite pet hamster?

Assuming it is something far larger than a hamster in bronze I'd say that I would not trust any sort of glue by itself. At the very least I'd pin into the concrete wall and extend those large steel pins out into the quartz shelf. Even if you find a glue which is compatible with the concrete and the quartz 1 1/4" isn't a lot of "base" and the tensile load along the top of the quartz shelf will be extremely high. Possibly high enough to spall out the concrete of the wall you want to glue the shelf onto and see it all in the ground. Concrete is great for compression. But not so great for tensile loads. Thus why they fill it with re-bar.

In any event I'd suggest we need more information. The glue itself isn't the issue. Clearly the others have lots of options for things that stick well to concrete and quartz. But the issue is if the concrete or quartz themselves can withstand the load. You may need to include some quartz or other material shelf brackets.
    Sorry I did not provide more information.
    The place where the statue and slab of Quartz will mount is on top of the junction of two 8" reinforced concrete walls where they join at 90 degrees. The Quartz slab is an equallateral triangle with legs of 32". The bronze statue is a seated figure with the legs over the edge of the Quartz slabs hypotenuse. There will be an additional vertical support slab placed vertically under the hypotenuse from the concrete deck that is adjacent to and part of the walls.
    The statue is of course hollow and weighs 350 pounds. I am told the Quartz will weigh about 130 pounds. The statue has provision for two 1/2" bolts to fasten it to the Quartz slab.
    I was trying to avoid having mechanical fasteners in the slab to wall junction because they would be visible.
    I chose Quartz because my supplier told me it was stronger than granite and because it is available in white to match the painted white concrete wall.
    The 500# total weight will place the concrete walls and deck in compression.
    Questions?
    Bill
    Last edited by Seastar; 05-17-2018 at 07:53 AM.
    I cut it off twice and it's still too short!

here is a picture of the statue.

Bill

and the corner of the wall-----

Bill

Consider a metal triangle with lips bolted to the walls. Slightly smaller than the stone triangle so it won't show.
    Glue the stone triangle on top of the metal. The glue is supporting down pressure rather than shear pressure.
    Bolt the statue through the rock and the metal. Should set a rubbery cushion /gasket between statue and stone or the stone may crack if the statue is bumped.
    Assuming the wall is poured concrete, concrete anchor bolts through the lips into the wall.
    Unless you are laying down you should not be able to see the anchors.
    Can the back of the statue touch the wall? That will help support it as well. Assuming her foot is on the floor and bearing some weight.

Sika. Better get that paint off the concrete first though.

Seastar, that description is very clear now.

The vertical slab under the hypotenuse is now clearly going to take the majority of the load. Add to that I would request from the stone cutting guy that supplies the quartz that he also includes a same height stone "post" to put inside the seat at the apex. Thus the seat is now fully supported in all respects and the glue or goop you use is only needed to hold the seat from coming out of the wall. That is if it's not sitting on top of or into the groove I see in the picture. If it sits into the groove, which would be very nice, then the wall will already be holding the sides up and the glue will do just fine.

The point is that if it were me I would want the stone and statue supported directly by stone or wall directly down to the deck before any glue or goop is used. You're now clearly OK on the hypotenuse and so you just need to arrange for the sides of the right angle to be similarly supported down to the deck directly either from the wall itself or from a leg hidden inside. That way the glue will not have any structural shear load on it. Just the minor job of preventing the seat from coming away from the wall and sealing out the weather.

That's quite the home and quite the view! And that statue is going to be a great addition to break up the highly geometrical lines of the deck and rail.

Sikaflex includes in it's recommended applications the fixing and sealing of roof tiles, flashing and gutters.
    If you benefit from the Dunning-Kruger Effect you may not even know it ;-)

http://www.sashco.com/products/through-the-roof/

Best stuff I ever sold or used & will stick anything to anything & will last.
    You can lead people to knowledge but you can't make them think.
    "Lead, follow, or get out of the way." George Patton
    "I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves".
    Ronald Reagan

That's a beautiful setting Seastar. Lucky guy! **

Dan
    ** Lucky or hard working.
    Measure twice. Cut once. Weld. Repeat.
    ( Welding solves many problems.)