Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hybrid arbor-pulley

Default Hybrid arbor-pulley

I have a 1/2 horsepower 1750 rpm motor on my main workbench out in the garage that is primarily used to "run in" small engines to loosen them up. I want an arbor to mount my different polishing buffs on. I don't like polishing in my lathe because it makes such a mess. I don't want to be constantly changing the pulley for a shaft mounted arbor because it gnarls up the motor shaft. LIGHTBUULB!!!--Make a threaded arbor that has the pulley permanently mounted to it.
    Brian Rupnow

I would not want a spinning pulley next to my buffs. I have a dedicated polish motor with the extended reach housing. Even it gets in the way sometimes. I can't imagine a spinning pulley would be very safe. But you're not me.

Get yourself another motor to mount your buffs on. It will be a lot cheaper than the doctor bill you will have after catching a finger under that V belt.
    “I know lots of people who are educated far beyond their intelligence”

Lewis Grizzard

Quote Originally Posted by Dave C View Post
    Get yourself another motor to mount your buffs on. It will be a lot cheaper than the doctor bill you will have after catching a finger under that V belt.
    Or against the edge of the pulley. I've got a scar on my right index finger from getting too close to the edge of a running pulley. (Setting the timing on a running car, not polishing.) I'm glad it wasn't under a belt. My hand would have gone one way and the finger another.

If I'm understanding Brian's thoughts, the pulley would only be used for the breakin of new engines, at which time he wouldn't be buffing anything. And conversely, when he's buffing the motor isn't turning anything with the pulley, it's just a smooth free wheeling part next to the buff. Sounds okay to me. The new arbor is cantilevered out there a ways, but then he's an engineer and can assess that for himself.
    "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Prior to building this thing I ran my buffs in the lathe at about 500 rpm. This should be a big improvement at 1750 rpm. I won't have buffs on there when I'm using the v-pulley to break in an engine. Conversely, I won't have the v-belt on there when I am buffing something. Think about it--For the last 8 years I've been spinning those buffs about 2" from the spinning jaws on the lathe chuck, with a half inch bolt and nut making my arbor. This was a nice little project, based 40% on need and 60% to give me somethin g to do this afternoon.

Brian Rupnow

Interesting old looking bench grinder in the rear of the first photo.

Suit yourself. The pulley is spinning when the motor runs. It doesn't have to have a belt on it to be dangerous..

Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch View Post
    Interesting old looking bench grinder in the rear of the first photo.
    Good eye, Sasquatch. My dad bought that from the blacksmith in Bancroft when he closed up shop when I was a kid. I have no idea how old it is, but it's probably older than I am.
    Brian Rupnow

I don't under stand wy you dont,
    A put a soft pad made from copper brass or alum, between setscrew and shaft.
    B slide a close fitting cover over pulley when not in use..