Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: O.T. Do auto companies have a data base for design problems that have been solved

Default O.T. Do auto companies have a data base for design problems that have been solved

I have a very complex to me 2015 Chevrolet Equinox. It is a fantastic car. Today,the front floor rugs were wet. The air conditioner evaperater drain hose was clogged,probably with mold. St louis has had terrible mold and pollen this year.I jacked the car up and put a thin fexable rubber hose on the drain tube and just blew on it. It unclogged right away. For many people this would be a trip to the dealer ect.. This seems to be a recurring problem that they solve every 5 or 10 years and then forget.It seems like they just try to remember problems and then somebody retires or moves on and they start all over.Edwin Dirnbeck

possible solution:-
    Fit an orifice to limit the flow, then pipe the drain hose to the inlet manifold...

The possibilities are mindless.

I spent 40 years in GM dealerships as a master tech in various certifying orgs. No corporate memory what so ever. Every new engineer has to justify his existance so he/she starts with a clean sheet of paper. And the manufacturers design cars to assemble not repair, the bastiges!
    Joe

One condensate problem (smell) was solved on my 2012 work truck by programming an after shut down fan run interval. Truck had the problem from new until I told them to fix it or take the truck back.
    *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

When was the last time you changed the cabin filter? Also, only use the "MAX" setting of the AC for a short time. Once the car (cabin) had cooled down, switch the AC over to the Fresh-Air setting. Both the filter and fresh air help control mold.

Blocked tubes common on self defrosting fridges, condensing boilers, air conditioners, and my MGBGT fresh air inlet.

just for others info, the best thing for clogged condenser drains is a zip tie. wont hurt the evaporator.

They evidentally have a file of things that do not work, They mine it for ideas that might have been forgotten and reintroduce them again. We are about due for a Corvair, Pinto, Vega, or Dodge of Your choice.
    mark costello-Low speed steel

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Rogers View Post
    I spent 40 years in GM dealerships as a master tech in various certifying orgs. No corporate memory what so ever. Every new engineer has to justify his existance so he/she starts with a clean sheet of paper. And the manufacturers design cars to assemble not repair, the bastiges!
    Joe
    I wonder how many car models have had recalls for fuel line routing issues. If only the designers had guidelines like avoid chafing, avoid sharp
    edges, avoid hot surfaces like exhaust components, avoid kinking, and avoid excessive flexing should cover a lot of the problems.

What about the database of service bulletins? Sounds like what you are asking about. These are factory repair solutions issued as they come up and are corrected. Heck, I can get them for my 1957 Triumph, someone has compiled them into a book.

Dennis