Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wanting To Build A Simple Pistol

Default Wanting To Build A Simple Pistol

I have been thinking about trying my hand at making my first firearm. Maybe a simple and small .410 pistol, possibly 2 (or more) round capacity. A .22 isn't out of the question either, but the .410 sounds a bit more interesting.
    I usually don't like to use plans, but for this project, it would probably be a pretty good idea. I am fairly competent machinist and have the usual array of machines and tooling. I likely won't get around to this project until fall, but I wanted to go ahead and get a plan together.

So, does anyone have any suggestions or a link to some plans?
    Thanks!

The .410 kicks pretty good in a small light pistol. You may want to rethink that unless it's going to weigh at least 2.5 lbs. For a center fire, I'd be inclined to do a 38 special, rimfire a .22lr of course. Extractor is easy with a rimmed case and the low pressure gives some margin on the material selection. Short sections of rifled blank are easily procured.

You might want to rethink .410. Feds consider all short barrel shotguns as worth about 2 years in federal pen and lost of your right to bear arms.
    A .22 would be a good choice for first try. Relatively low pressure so more forgiving of steel required.
    Most .22 use mild to low heat treated steel. A file will cut most locking lugs.

Bob

I would definitely need to look into it more carefully before the build as I have no desire to do anything even remotely questionable - but I thought that if it was a pistol, had a rifled barrel and was chambered for, say LC/under .5 cal, it was legal - like the Taurus Judge, for example. CA laws are possibly more restrictive?

California laws are bad and more designed to eliminate guns then solve a problem. Last time I looked a rifled barrel like the Judge was legal in most states, but even with a smooth choke had poor patterns.

Smooth bore pistols are an ATF no go for modern firearms. It MUST be a rifled barrel. Also the rifled barrel bore can be no larger than 50 cal without ATF "Sporting purpose" approval. Which is why 45LC/.410 are the standard. You can not just scratch a smooth bore and call it rifling. The ATF has it defined somewhere. Do your research and stay away from the federal felonies.

*** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

OK, we have established the laws and that a .410/LC would have to meet certain criteria.

Any plans or suggestions for a .22, or talk me into or out of a small caliber center fire.

There is a very simple one that you can make using commonly available tools and materials. It's the boys camper single shot .22 short. (link is for a PDF of a magazine article complete with all plans). It's n easy one make in order to get your feet wet.

The only part that is somewhat challenging is rifling the bore. It's easier to rifle the bore of a .45 than it is a .22 simply because the grooves are so small. You can get past that by buying a .22 barrel liner. One liner will give you enough material to make many pistol barrels.

I did the math for that, and a 3/4 inch diameter 4140 is plenty strong enough for a .22 long riffle chamber.

Dan
    At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

Also, try googling Jaco Designs pistol and you will find several designs for something similar to the one danlb points to above. Interesting to study these relatively simple designs. I think it would be really fun to build one just because, but I've never quite gotten to doing it.