Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 58

Thread: New Tormach machines launch

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    1,320

    Default New Tormach machines launch


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    In the desert
    Posts
    1,392

    Default

    Yeah, they just released a teaser video on You Tube on the M models a couple days ago. Upgrades the 1100 from 9 to 11 inches in Y among other things. Also bumps the spindle to 7500 RPM, and I think uses BT30 instead of R8/TTS.

    Makes me wish I had waited a few months before buying my 1100.
    *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    4,440

    Default

    Yes! I've been planning on picking up a Tormach, likely the 770, but had been holding off as I'd heard a rumor that they were working on converting over to servos instead of steppers.

    Hopefully I can pick up a base-model a la carte new 770 for not much more than the old 770 was (about $9K to my doorstep, including likely $1,500 just in shipping. Alaska, y'know. )

    If so, I might just be right up front on June 20th.

    Doc.
    Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    In the desert
    Posts
    1,392

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Nickel View Post
    Yes! I've been planning on picking up a Tormach, likely the 770, but had been holding off as I'd heard a rumor that they were working on converting over to servos instead of steppers.

    Hopefully I can pick up a base-model a la carte new 770 for not much more than the old 770 was (about $9K to my doorstep, including likely $1,500 just in shipping. Alaska, y'know. )

    If so, I might just be right up front on June 20th.

    Doc.
    I think the MX is slated to be a servo machine, but there does not appear to be a planned release date for that. I suppose now is not the time to stir up the Tormach super fans by re-releasing Tormach's white paper on how steppers are perfectly fine and there is no reason to consider servos.

    To be fair I have only one machine (out of five mills and a router) currently running servos. LOL.


    ************ PRICE NOTICE ************
    I just received an email a few days ago saying Tormach is raising their prices across the board. It said something about machines ordered before a certain date would honor the old pricing even if they were shipped later, and machines ordered after a certain date would be on the new pricing schedule. Since I just recently purchased mine I didn't read it thoroughly. Its going to be a while before I can order another new machine from anybody.
    Last edited by Bob La Londe; 06-08-2018 at 10:15 AM.
    *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    4,440

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob La Londe View Post
    I think the MX is slated to be a servo machine, but there does not appear to be a planned release date for that. I suppose now is not the time to stir up the Tormach super fans by re-releasing Tormach's white paper on how steppers are perfectly fine and there is no reason to consider servos.
    -I'm hardly a "super fan". The idea is less 'servos>steppers' and more "If I'm going to spend the money, I'd like to get the newest model available". Unless there's a huge cost difference (like 50% or more more) I want to buy the best version I can (even if I have to initially buy it as a bare machine.)

    Doc.
    Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Posts
    755

    Default

    There has been talk that 1100 Series 3s and 1100Ms will both be upgradable to the MX servos. I'm not sure if Tormach has actually confirmed that, though.
    Mike Henry near Chicago

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Central Ohio
    Posts
    1,085

    Default

    Yes, a Series 3 can be upgraded to servos once the package is available which will be awhile. Effective June 20th the new 1100M and 700M (with steppers) will be available for immediate shipment. The MX units (with servos) are estimated to be available in winter. From what I can tell they haven't fully decided which servo vendor they are using. Hopefully they can work that out so we can at least have the MX pricing fairly soon. If I can't get pricing then I feel I have to wait and see I don't want to buy an M then find for my budget I could have gotten an MX. We also don't know the specs for the MX either.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    1,320

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob La Londe View Post
    Yeah, they just released a teaser video on You Tube on the M models a couple days ago. Upgrades the 1100 from 9 to 11 inches in Y among other things. Also bumps the spindle to 7500 RPM, and I think uses BT30 instead of R8/TTS.

    Makes me wish I had waited a few months before buying my 1100.
    Through some bizarro coincidence, I tripped over your teething problems ordeal with your then new Charter Oak CNC mill - made for quite a tale:

    https://www.cnczone.com/forums/chart...c-tormach.html

    Hopefully, all problems have been resolved for some time?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    4,440

    Default

    Bringing this back up for a moment, does anyone know when they plan to release the MX? Or at least give an idea of pricing thereof?

    Doc.
    Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,070

    Default

    Have they beefed up the chassis or is it still a vertical mill conversion badged as a VMC?
    If you benefit from the Dunning-Kruger Effect you may not even know it ;-)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •