Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making a dovetailed peep sight?

Default Making a dovetailed peep sight?

Howdy fellas.

I'm about to get a Husqvarna Model 46 rifle in the next week or two, and I'm wanting to put a peep sight on it to replace the fixed rear v knotch sight. To make a long story short, there are no commercial options for what I want without needing a gunsmith or a lot of cash, so my plan is to just make a simple peep sight to fit into the dovetail slot of the rear sight.

To give you an idea of my skill level, I have very little machining experience, but about a decade or more of woodworking experience, including a lot of fine detail work with files and a Dremel. I have a wood lathe, a band saw, drill press, grinder, belt sander, and more files than I know what to do with.

Here's what I'm thinking.

If I can get a nut close to the size I need, I can drill and later tap a hole in one side of it, make a wooden mandrel that it can be screwed onto and chucked in my lathe, and then I can shape it with files. Once that's done I can drill the hole out of the middle.

The base could be ground and filled to shape, drilled and tapped the same as the nut, and fitted to the gun. If I can get the center of the peep right where the bottom of the V knotch is, I shouldn't even have to touch the front sight (also dovetailed). A bolt could be cut to attach the two, and loctited in to keep everything solid.

After it's all said and done, a quick cold bluing should make it match the rifle, and I'll have something I made on my new rifle.

Worst case, I'm out a few bucks for material, and some time. I'm wanting to get into machining, and this seems like a decent project to try.

What do you guys think?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Maverick44; 06-10-2018 at 03:58 AM.

Putting a peep sight that far out on the barrel won't work very well. Peep sights need to be close to your eye to work as intended.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluechips View Post
    Putting a peep sight that far out on the barrel won't work very well. Peep sights need to be close to your eye to work as intended.
    Maybe ghost ring would be a better description of what I want? I thought of this problem, and have looked into it. Keep in mind, I'm not wanting a tiny little target peep (certainly not that far forward), but something more in tune with what's on Type 99 Arisakas. They have a ring about an inch or two closer to the receiver than the sight on the Husqvarna. I don't figure that's going to make a whole lot of difference. My eyes aren't the best, so a v notch is hard to shoot with. The ring on a Arisaka is easier for me to pick up and shoot faster. I'm not looking for long range precision or tiny little groups. This is an almost 100 year old rifle with a large, slow moving bullet. 100 yards is as far as I'll probably be shooting it.

It would likely be easier to fit a flat piece of metal to the clip slot. This could be fitted and locked in with a small allen screw. The part above the receiver shaped with a peep hole size .125 - .25 ? A straight edge from front sight to peep sight area passing through the open rear sight should give you thigh for center of peep.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Ford View Post
    It would likely be easier to fit a flat piece of metal to the clip slot. This could be fitted and locked in with a small allen screw. The part above the receiver shaped with a peep hole size .125 - .25 ? A straight edge from front sight to peep sight area passing through the open rear sight should give you thigh for center of peep.

Bob
    I think I know where you are going with this?

So a flat piece of metal that fits into the clip slot on the receiver, with an allen screw that pushes the piece of metal away from the back wall of the clip slot, into the two front prongs that stick out from the sides of the slot, locking it in place? looking at my Turkish Mauser, that should work. Thanks for the tip!

So a flat piece of metal that fits into the clip slot on the receiver, with an allen screw that pushes the piece of metal away from the back wall of the clip slot, into the two front prongs that stick out from the sides of the slot, locking it in place? looking at my Turkish Mauser, that should work. Thanks for the tip!

Yes! You can fit to the rounded part or not. Suggest a small stop at top of receiver or slots to stop downward movement, screw locks in place. When removed shows no change to rifle and I am sure this is easier than filing a dovetail block.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Ford View Post

Yes! You can fit to the rounded part or not. Suggest a small stop at top of receiver or slots to stop downward movement, screw locks in place. When removed shows no change to rifle and I am sure this is easier than filing a dovetail block.

Bob
    After looking closer at my Turk Mauser and doing some measurements, I realized that it's a perfectly squared slot. Those round areas are only on the top edge. I'd have to find some way of expanding the base of the sight to press up against the sides of the clip slot.

Could that be done by cutting a slot in the lower half of the base up to the screw hole, and screwing in a slightly larger screw to force the sides out? I could make the base fit really snugly in the slot. It wouldn't need much pressure to lock it down.

The transition from wood to metal working is doable. If you are good with a file you can create many intricate shapes.

My friend says the big difference is learning to think in more precise measurements. This is because wood will give and swell and warp where metal will do all of that but within much tighter tolerances. So the precise +- 1/32 inch (or 1 mm) wood part will equivalent to a +- .005 inches fit in metal.

When filing to fit the use of Prussian Blue marking fluid will be your friend. It will show you where two surfaces are touching and where they are not.

Dan
    Measure twice. Cut once. Weld. Repeat.
    ( Welding solves many problems.)

Let me be clear on this. The piece of metal will be the sight and the base. Dimensions are approximate, but not accurate 9/16 X 1/8 X 1. About 3/8ths to will slide in the clip slot. This needs to be a close fit. Black marking pen will help. The rest stands above the receiver and becomes the peep sight. This is where a straight edge from front sight through rear sight to where the peep will be will give you the location to drill the peep sight hole. Drill the hole and trim excess metal. You now have a peep sight that you lock in place with the screw through the lower part of the sight, A slight bump that touches the receiver will stop downward travel of the sight. The only close filing will be the fitting in the clip slot.
    The straight edge could be a piece of fishing line stretched from front sight to receiver this lets you line up the existing rear sight and gives you a center line and height to drill the peep sight hole.

Bob

Could be tapered the dovetail slot and only go in one way.
    This was the case with quality guns over the last 100 odd years.

Woods just a material like any other, you will be fine if have done intricate work with files and thats all you need.
    Fot a tight fit fractionally file in a taper and keep trying. If go under its not correct but will do the job, tap it up and expand the steel a few thou.

If you design it slightly different a dirty way of doing it is grub screw the part making to push on to the base downwards so it pulls up to the thinner dovetail.