Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 21" Royersford Excelsior Restoration

Default 21" Royersford Excelsior Restoration

Hi all.

I've started in on restoring one of these drill presses and thought I might document the process. You see a lot of these restored but not many documented. If you're interested, come along for the ride. I'm sure I'll have some questions as well.

More pictures at the end of the video.

3 Phase Lightbulb Guest

Looks very compact and portable. Does it come with any accessories like a fork lift?

Welcome, great post. These restoration posts are my favorite, looking forward to seeing it progress. Jim

Welcome to the forum! You should find some good information on Babbitt bearings here: https://play.google.com/store/books/...QAAMAAJ&rdot=1

Tapered Babbitt bearings are discussed as an "alternative" means of wear compensation (compared to split bearings where shims would be removed). In the vertical orientation, the adjustment is automatic.

tried to find info on Royersford. Are they out of Royersford, PA? That town is only a few miles from me.

Royersford made the 21" drill press into the 1970's the later ones had had ball bearing on all the shafts. and they were still around 5 or so years ago. Ken

Welcome,
    You are lucky to have found such a nice old machine. Am enjoying the video as I type.
    ' Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Royldean View Post
    tried to find info on Royersford. Are they out of Royersford, PA? That town is only a few miles from me.
    Answering my own question. I actually used the google machine on the internet box and concluded that yes, they are indeed out of "Rofo", and have a foundry in Phoenixville, PA (a little farther down the road).

Quote Originally Posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb View Post
    Looks very compact and portable. Does it come with any accessories like a fork lift?
    Ha no, but do notice the backhoe in the background. It was very well needed for getting it off the truck.

Quote Originally Posted by Fasttrack View Post
    Welcome to the forum! You should find some good information on Babbitt bearings here: https://play.google.com/store/books/...QAAMAAJ&rdot=1

Tapered Babbitt bearings are discussed as an "alternative" means of wear compensation (compared to split bearings where shims would be removed). In the vertical orientation, the adjustment is automatic.
    Ah thank you. I'll definitely give that a look! This is the first time I've touched a machine with babbitts, so they are very new to me. I'm studying mechanical engineering right now, and seeing all these old mechanisms is just awesome. An automatic wear compensating bearing... I dunno that I would have ever come up with that. Much like the stuff I learn in class, I tuck things away in my "toolbox" so to speak, and I'm sure in the future the knowledge gained from fixing old machinery will come in handy designing new machinery.

The split babbitt bearings used wooden shims and were not tightened down. Should I look into replacing these with a metal shim stack, or just run them?

Quote Originally Posted by ken View Post
    Royersford made the 21" drill press into the 1970's the later ones had had ball bearing on all the shafts. and they were still around 5 or so years ago. Ken
    I knew they made them for a while, but I didn't know they lived that long. They switched to V belts as opposed the flat belts in the early 50s, so I assume this is before then.

Quote Originally Posted by wdtom44 View Post
    Welcome,
    You are lucky to have found such a nice old machine. Am enjoying the video as I type.
    ' Tom
    Thanks. I had part two uploading overnight, but something caused it to fail. I'm reuploading right now. Should be out tonight.

That's a very nice restoration candidate you have. I have one that I went thru a few years ago and it was much more work. Mine came direct from military surplus and pretty sad off. It had broken handles, teeth missing on gears and the bracket that holds the table to the column was broken too.