Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hydraulic vise - any good??

Default Hydraulic vise - any good??

Looking at maybe getting a new vise for my mill, the old AbWood one is getting a bit sad now

Anyone know about hydraulic vises??

Looking at one of these from my tool supplier...

https://www.cutwel.co.uk/work-holdin...-built-in-type

Never bought a new one before, more choice than i thought especially if not rich

The mill is my CNC converted Bridgeport.

Any tips appreciated

That looks pretty nice. But what would you use to move the oil? If you're not really NEEDING something like this I'm thinking that the requirement to come up with a variable but consistent once set oil pressure supply might be an issue. Seems like it's more aimed at production work. But I do agree that it seems like a decent vise for the cost

I'm pretty certain the oils is all internal - it uses a wrench like any other vise.

My only guess is it works something like a Sykes Hydraulic hub puller where a small screw is used to exert very high force but small distance on the puller.

There's the big hex sticking out that I assumed was a hydraulic fitting. But it could be the stop block that runs the short movement setup as you're saying. It also looks like it has limited travel range and the back piece needs to be shifted with the aid of the through pin in the base and with the use of three holes.

I'm currently looking for a new vise, or a way to improve the one I have. The point is, my current vise has too much fix jaw deflection. The solid fix jaw of this vise is pretty nice.

Another pretty big advantage, that I'm not sure if this vise has (seems that not), is the pull type (instead of push) screw. I have read that this can improve up to 80% of the jaw deflection.

Quote Originally Posted by Davek0974 View Post
    My only guess is it works something like a Sykes Hydraulic hub puller where a small screw is used to exert very high force but small distance on the puller.
    They are grease filled, not oil, I've rebuilt a few failed units.
    If you benefit from the Dunning-Kruger Effect you may not even know it ;-)

Hmm, well i did say it was a guess

They do have other models and makes but all for my needs, need to choose carefully.

I was referring to the Sykes Pullers, not your guess that vices work the same way, which is likely to be correct ;-)
    If you benefit from the Dunning-Kruger Effect you may not even know it ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Magicniner View Post
    I was referring to the Sykes Pullers, not your guess that vices work the same way, which is likely to be correct ;-)

https://web.archive.org/web/20140618...rclecalc14.exe
    I just noticed you have an executable file name in yer tag line. Is that supposed to be there? Never saw that before. JR
    My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Do they spell "vise" differently in England, "vice"?