Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Hydraulic vise - any good??

Quote Originally Posted by metalmagpie View Post
    Let me turn your question around: how good is a vise (vice) with a screw? Answer: well, a good one's good and a bad one's bad. Very vague question.
    I guess that could apply to many things really

Anyway, its back together and seems ok.

Is this a good idea:-

I do most of my stuff in the jaw steps, would it be an idea to re-machine the steps with the vise tightened so that the lift is the same as i would see in work? i.e. machine the lift out.

I would think bad idea - the whole premise of jaw lift is that the jaw is rising due to opposing forces from the workpiece; the extent of lift is related to the geometry of the part (i.e. the vector of the reaction force) and the magnitude of the clamping force (magnitude of the reaction force).

When you use the same test setup each time you'll get consistent jaw lift, but in practice it won't be consistent, and there's the possibility that cutting forces for example may alter the effective jaw lift during cutting. The best countermeasure will still be smacking the part down with a deadblow hammer as you snug up the jaw to either force the jaw down flat on the vise bed, or force the part into contact with the vise bed.

Sounds sensible, thanks

Hi all,

the old Abwood seems to be suffering again, got 0.15mm jaw lift which renders it useless for my needs, will keep under bench as a spare

Do these look useful??

https://www.cutwel.co.uk/workholding...ed-jaws-size-3

I can get a little discount on the price as its my regular tool supplier.

Dave, Gerardi vises are very highly rated, if I had the cash I would!!

Great, i should be able to get a few % off list price which makes it around the same as many of the no-name clones and others, plus it has 5yr warranty.

Dave, I got a pair of Gerardis from Cutwel about 6 years ago, when they had a huge discount on them - the price was too good to resist.

I've got them on the Tormach, and though not a "matched pair", I get zero difference on a tenths indicator measuring the bed heights between the two. And the pull-down jaws (both of them - not just the moving jaw) work better than any vice I've ever tried.
    Huge versatility as you can get about a million different different jaw combinations and types (as well as special parallels), and the standard fixed jaw can be reversed to give you extra opening too.
    Simply fantastic vices.

Great, thats just about sold it then, i'll ring today

I have a Cutwel account and have bought a few bits from them, and can recommend them. Their catalogue is pretty big and as they supply mostly to the trade, they are fast.

Yep, not the cheapest but also not the dearest, delivery is extremely fast too, helpful on the phone and good tech advice when needed.