Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: Small mill project (SMP)

Quote Originally Posted by RB211 View Post
    This probe is adjustable, and allows you to set it to a perfect zero without software.
    http://www.wildhorse-innovations.com...d&productId=80

That is a common hobby probe, basically a cheap copy of a Renishaw which is the high end industrial version. The same calibration issues exist for both. The wildhorse is a simple 3 screw adjustment to set the tip coaxial, that is all, it does nothing for compensating trip errors for different vector approaches or other variables like the higher end probe calibration routines do. Big differences in the expected accuracy between a $100 probe and one north of $1000 Renishaw probes are used on many of the CMM machines.

A friend has one of the wildhorse probes, its pretty decent for a hobby class probe.
    Last edited by Sparky_NY; 07-02-2019 at 01:54 PM.

I had almost made a kinematic probe... Then found a few 'real' ones on ebay. Very happy with the performance. Can't imaging life without a touch probe

One way I want to try to avoid the calibration is to make an electrical contact probe, instead of a mechanical one. This way centering the ball should work, or you can just use tool offsets.

Yah - kinda a tangent.... Maybe

Here we go...

Quote Originally Posted by skunkworks View Post
    Here we go...

]
    Very nice! Your video proves it repeats very well but have you checked it for accuracy? Is 0,0 really the center of the bore? Sweep the bore with a indicator in the spindle and set true 0,0 on the dro's then probe it and see how closely it agrees with the indicated center. That will be interesting to see.

Wouldn't turning the probe 180 in the spindle prove that? I certainly could be missing something.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky_NY View Post
    Very nice! Your video proves it repeats very well but have you checked it for accuracy? Is 0,0 really the center of the bore? Sweep the bore with a indicator in the spindle and set true 0,0 on the dro's then probe it and see how closely it agrees with the indicated center. That will be interesting to see.

Quote Originally Posted by skunkworks View Post
    Wouldn't turning the probe 180 in the spindle prove that? I certainly could be missing something.
    I believe you are right. I keep thinking of the Renishaw inspection plus probing and calibration routines. BTW I contacted the one guy that was working on those routines, he did finish up converting the routines to linuxcnc and sent me them. PM me your email and I will send you a copy if you want. They are NGCGUI format.

CNC fluff!! (hooked up the renishaw led...)

First world problem! (time to make a fixture plate...)

(that is with the Z all the way down... - Still very glad that I raised Z 5 inches...)