Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lets start with Hello

Default Lets start with Hello

Hello everybody, My name is John and I live in Anderson IN

I just picked up just over a week ago a South Bend Model A CL 644R 12 speed Lathe. It seems to be in respectable condition and everything is nice and tight with the exception of the feed screws, they do have a little bit of slop in them. With regards to the cross slide assembly it travels fine front to back but left to right and vice versa is EXTREMELY Tight more than about 8-10 inches from the chuck to the point belt slippage becomes an issue using power feed and moving it by hand is difficult to almost impossible. I have Identified a handful of problems with it I do need to solve including plate mount for the rear pulley bracket not secured properly(it floats and does cause some belt misalignment) and I need some gear covers and a reversible switch as it is currently wired to a single throw residential wall switch.

It has a South Bend/Cushman 3005 3 jaw chuck(Has the south bend stamp on the back) on it and I also have a thread on "Mill" plate (has 6 slots in it for bolting things to it) and a dog plate and dog.

The Chuck only has the internal jaws and I do not have an actual key for it. I need a set of external jaws and I have been using a steel Square "allen type" key as a chuck key that came from the guy I bought it from.....

I need a set of Gear guards and a 3 position drum switch.....

The Motor mount/ Rear pulley pivot Mount on this thing is a completely fabricated disaster of biblical proportions.... For starters the welds are Hideous, the Motor is fixed mounted separately on a stand that is above the whole lathe with a belt running to a 2 position pulley on the rear pivot that cannot be made to tighten up the main drive belt and the flat belt is in POOR condition. The rear pulley bracket IS OE South Bend.

The Micrometer dials were both frozen. I was able to free up the dial on the cross feed but the 1 on the compound is still stuck.

I am sure there are a few other things I have missed that I will remember later but this is more or less the jist of it.

I am currently unemployed and was able to buy this and a few other things I needed after selling 1 of my pickup trucks and this was too good of a deal to pass up and as of right now my budget is exhausted. If anybody can assist me with the handful of missing parts I need for this, It would be MUCH Appreciated.

If there is anybody here in the Anderson IN area willing to come over and help me do some reconditioning work on this thing you are more than welcome to do so.

Thanks and I look forward to become friends with several of you.

PS I would like to post pics of it but I do not have permission to post attachments.... YET
    Last edited by FordFanatic1988; 07-03-2018 at 06:37 PM.

Code:
    #include <stdio.h>

int main(void)
    {
      printf("Hello!\n");
      return 0;
    }

Welcome to the forum, even if you ARE a Ford fanatic. Good luck with the lathe. Looking forward to pics.
    “I know lots of people who are educated far beyond their intelligence”

Lewis Grizzard

John, there is a great deal of information available on the Vintage Machinery site which is part of the Old Wood Working Machinery site:
    http://vintagemachinery.org/
    http://www.owwm.org/index.php?sid=f9...d5459975dacc58

Replacement parts are also found on Ebay.
    I own a SBL 9A under drive on cabinet stand and have access to a 9a bench mount lathe. If you need any detail pictures feel
    free to contact me via PM on this site.

1 other thing... WHERE do i find the serial number for this thing???

Serial number should be on the far end of the ways, right side when you are standing in front if it.

Quote Originally Posted by RB211 View Post
    Code:
    #include <stdio.h>

int main(void)
    {
      printf("Hello!\n");
      return 0;
    }
    not sure what you were trying to post but I don't think it worked

Quote Originally Posted by FordFanatic1988 View Post
    not sure what you were trying to post but I don't think it worked
    It's a computer geek joke. Welcome to the forum!

-js

EDIT: It won't work, either. Missing the closing brace. RB, you blew it!

I liked print “ hello world”
    I got lost after that,
    Welcome aboard, hope you get lucky with parts, they should be out there somewhere,
    Good luck with the employment, been there, not nice but certainly motivates you more than a red hot poker.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by RB211 View Post
    Code:
    #include <stdio.h>

int main(void)
    {
      printf("Hello!\n");
      return 0;
    }

#include <stdio.h>

char _[] = {0x37,0x1b,0x15,0x16,0x14,0x63,0x7b};

void main(void)