Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: RG-G 1/2 Scale Gatling Gun Build

Default RG-G 1/2 Scale Gatling Gun Build

Good Evening, I am currently working on building an approximately 1/2 scale Gatling Gun, built from a kit sold by RG-G. The kit includes detailed prints and the metal rounds, squares and tubing to build most of the parts required for a completed functioning Gatling Gun. It is chambered for .22 cal long rifle rounds and scaled down from various guns built around the Civil War era. I looked online for awhile before deciding on the RG-G kit. There are others but apparently the other popular kit that is sold has some inherent flaws that make it less than reliable for a working gun, "a shooter".

The kit also includes a couple of precut gears some internal hex sleeves and and various springs, bolts and nuts. I have built most all of the parts needed so far but have bought the carriage wheels and the bolt "shells". By Shells I mean that I machined the internals and extractor or bought the needed springs. The actual firing pin is also bought from McMaster Carr and is a standard ejector pin usually used for injection molds. I just cut them to length. I also bought the barrels which were an assortment of used barrels that I turned down to the proper OD, cut to length, Turned and threaded the chamber end, milled a hex on the front end, and chambered them for the .22 cal. LR that the gun uses.

When turning the barrels I learned how important it is to have the tail stock aligned perfectly when turning a longer piece of material. The lathe ways were level but the tail stock needed aligned. The Rock Oak (Chestnut Oak) that I used for the carriage was milled on my band mill at the hunting land that that I have about 80 miles north of where I live in Lancaster County Pennsylvania. I used the band mill for building several outbuildings and making other lumber for a hobby that I no longer do because of some severe back problems that don't allow any heavy physical labor any more. I'm glad to have a large sawmill shed full of cut lumber and I can still do light duty work on many days in my shop at home.

The gun was started about 3 years ago and back then I figured on having it completed by now but it is getting close and hopefully it will soon be a working gun. I'll start by posting some of the earlier pictures and keep adding more until the thread is caught up to where the progress is now. Here are some pictures of the wheels and carriage. I figured on building the carriage first because if the gun was finished first there may have been an urge to hurry on the carriage in order to use it like right now. I have never posted pictures by using this site , am currently using Imgur so there may be a learning curve in order to get them posted.

Carriage and trail with axle

Wheel and carriage

Carriage Assembled

Carriage Assembled 1

Two more, I didn't figure out how to host at HSM site so these are from Imgur.

Carriage with brass Hardware

Carriage with brass hardware 1

Very nice!!
    I've wanted to build one of these but I figured it would take me about as long as it's taken you. I'm afraid it would be partially complete and rest in my annex.

THANX RICH
    People say I'm getting crankier as I get older. That's not it. I just find I enjoy annoying people a lot more now. Especially younger people!!!

You have my ears perked up. JR
    My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

These are labor intensive works this one took me 1 1/2 years of work. I am not sure if I could afford the brass now.

Last edited by rolland; 07-05-2018 at 03:03 AM.

Wow! I am a brass junkie. So yeah, thanks. JR
    My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

I also built one. It is a mix from the two sets of plans out there. It does shoot great. Now, I am just starting on a .357 mag version. It IS a lot of work.

We have the same lathe

We have the same Makita planer.

I also have one of those Makita planers too. My brother and I bought one about 30 years ago and used it to plane all the finish lumber for our two houses and then some. I went to use it a year or so ago and found it needed new brushes in the motor. OK, lucky, the local hardware had them and had it going quick with no problem. We decided to also remove a seal from each motor and knife head bearing and add some grease. A good thing as it turned out, what grease there was was mostly dried out and almost hard. These are high speed items and running in dust. If you have such a machine I would recommend some maintenance too.

dmartin,

I have plans I bought at least 30 35 years ago also from RG-G. Do you, or anyone else, know if they have updated them over the years? I may get to it l someday, I hope so, but other projects seem to keep coming up. I like the idea of using used barrels as you did. Never liked the idea of liners soldered into tubes. How hard was it to find the used/junk barrels?

The work you have done on yours is very nice, you should be proud. Tom