Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: RG-G 1/2 Scale Gatling Gun Build

Quote Originally Posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb View Post
    Beautiful work but how the heck do you conceal and carry that!
    I don't have a van, I guess a pickup truck and tarp will have to do.

holy cow, that is amazing! Loved the pictures, both the finished parts and the process. I have the same mill and it was interesting to see you add the DRO to the front, which is where I'm planning on putting it when I get one. If you have the time, pictures of how you did the knee and Y-axis would be very helpful.

Looking forward to more pictures of the build, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by mattthemuppet View Post
    holy cow, that is amazing! Loved the pictures, both the finished parts and the process. I have the same mill and it was interesting to see you add the DRO to the front, which is where I'm planning on putting it when I get one. If you have the time, pictures of how you did the knee and Y-axis would be very helpful.

Looking forward to more pictures of the build, thanks!
    Hi Matt, back when I installed the DRO I had a thread about the install here on HSM, here is a link, http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/thr...ly-G0730G-Mill
    I assume you like your mill, I definitely am happy with mine. The speed changing gets a little old at times using the belt but I'm used to it and just go with it. Most of the install was pretty straight forward.
    The top support for the z reader was about the only thing "custom" made and it was just a 1/4 inch pipe nipple ground to be square when setting against the cast base which is angled at that point.
    I ended up grinding off more than planned in order to get it right as I was doing it by eye and didn't get it perfect on the first try. A couple washers for shims took care of that and the washers are a good thing anyway
    in order to give the top of the reader bracket some more surface area against the standoff. I think it was DavoJ who noticed that the bracket for the Y reader would get in the way causing some lost X table travel.
    He was correct and I planned on correcting that but haven't got around to it. If you mount the Y bracket like I did you may want to put in some spacers to drop the angle iron low enough to allow for full X travel.

I am glad that I installed the X travel reader on the front as there have been many times that the maximum amount of Y travel was needed. If there was a ram that could be extended it wouldn't be an issue but there is no extendable ram on this mill. On the thread that I have linked above DavoJ also has a link to his install which has good info also. Have a good one.

Dwight

Edited to add that in rereading the thread there were suggestions to have the Z read head facing to the rear which I think would be better so as not to worry about chips or cutting oil getting into the scale.
    I never did change mine and it has not been a problem, but if doing the install from scratch it wouldn't be much trouble to face it back and pretty much eliminate potential problems from cutting oil or chips.
    I'm sure that you already know this but thought I would point it out because it is an easy thing to do when doing a new install.
    Last edited by dmartin; 07-06-2018 at 10:03 PM. Reason: Spelling

While not a “replica” has anyone found a hopper feed for a 22lr Gatling gun? It would be cool if you could just dump a few boxes in and start cranking.

thanks for the info and the link Dwight. I have a dim and distant memory of reading it many moons ago. One of the comments that you'll get many years of use out of it certainly proved prophetic! The X looks very much like how I'd imagine doing it, but the pics of the Z install were very helpful, couple of interesting ideas to store away for the future.

I like my mill a great deal - perfect size for the stuff I do and a considerable improvement over the drill press "mill" I was using before for several years. I agree about the belt changes, which is why I'm in the midst of a treadmill motor conversion. I've put them on both my lathe and drill press, so i've been thoroughly spoilt by speed changes at the twist of a dial. Can't wait till I get it done. At some point I'm planning on adding a 4" riser too. i bought a couple of 4x6" "wheels" on ebay for not much, so I'll be using one of those. That'll give me a bit more breathing space on the Z.

Quote Originally Posted by mattthemuppet View Post
    thanks for the info and the link Dwight. I have a dim and distant memory of reading it many moons ago. One of the comments that you'll get many years of use out of it certainly proved prophetic! The X looks very much like how I'd imagine doing it, but the pics of the Z install were very helpful, couple of interesting ideas to store away for the future.

I like my mill a great deal - perfect size for the stuff I do and a considerable improvement over the drill press "mill" I was using before for several years. I agree about the belt changes, which is why I'm in the midst of a treadmill motor conversion. I've put them on both my lathe and drill press, so i've been thoroughly spoilt by speed changes at the twist of a dial. Can't wait till I get it done. At some point I'm planning on adding a 4" riser too. i bought a couple of 4x6" "wheels" on ebay for not much, so I'll be using one of those. That'll give me a bit more breathing space on the Z.
    I too have thought about a riser and maybe after this RG-G project is done I may check into it again. I have seen several threads about treadmill motors and have always thought that they probably wouldn't have enough torque.
    I never actually researched to see if the treadmill motor actually is comparable to the stock motor, I just thought that they probably wouldn't. I assume that you have checked into it and apparently they are beefy enough to work well for the application. On the lathe and drill press do they provide enough torque to perform as well as what you have removed? Maybe it is something worth doing if they work as well as the stock motors along with the benefit of variable speed. Would you say that with the treadmill motors the machines provide as much power as with the stock motors? thanks.

Very nice work and plenty of it! I love these and am glad I get to watch one get built!

I probably missed it but for size reference what is the diameter of the bolt carrier?

This and a cannon are the two I would love to have some day. Maybe I should start hording brass now as it only seems to go up in cost.
    Andy

VPT, the OD on the bolt carrier is 2.750 inches. Thanks for the compliment there have been many compliments and I want to thank you all for that.
    Compliments coming from a group of guys like you all mean quite a lot.

Dwight

Quote Originally Posted by dmartin View Post
    I too have thought about a riser and maybe after this RG-G project is done I may check into it again. I have seen several threads about treadmill motors and have always thought that they probably wouldn't have enough torque.
    I never actually researched to see if the treadmill motor actually is comparable to the stock motor, I just thought that they probably wouldn't. I assume that you have checked into it and apparently they are beefy enough to work well for the application. On the lathe and drill press do they provide enough torque to perform as well as what you have removed? Maybe it is something worth doing if they work as well as the stock motors along with the benefit of variable speed. Would you say that with the treadmill motors the machines provide as much power as with the stock motors? thanks.
    give me a shout when you're ready to start on the riser, I have a bunch of info that I've found and I wouldn't say no to getting rid of one of those riser pieces

as for treadmill motors, I haven't had any issues with them on my drill press or lathe. The belts will slip before the motor bogs, even when I was step drilling a 1" hole in a piece of stainless on the DP (unwittingly, didn't realise it was stainless at that point). The motors will slow down a bit on a deep cut, perhaps by 10% or so, but the variable speed allows you to tweak the speed to get the sweet spot. I often end up running faster than I expect on the lathe and slower on the DP to get the right chip formation. The motor I'm putting on is a 2.25hp treadmill duty motor, which comes out as about 1 1/4 to 1 1/2hp, so comparable on paper at least to the stock motor. That said, this mill is in a class (or two) above my other machines in size and rigidity, so we'll see how it compares once it's on there. For sure a 3ph motor would be a better and easier option, but the treadmill motor and controller were largely free. The total build cost including control box and switches comes to about $50 or so.

Matt If I do get around to putting in a riser on the mill send a PM to see if you still have the material available,thanks. Again I want to say thanks for the comments and compliments.As I said a few posts back getting some positive feedback from a group such as this means a lot. Here are some more pictures of the Gatling Gun Build. I apologize That some of the pictures aren't in the order that they were made and hopefully I won't post up some that I have already posted. I organized them on my computer but in uploading them to Imgur some are out of order and I didn't bother trying to put them back in order on Imgur.

Here is a picture of making a brass nut for the end of the main shaft.

Here it is installed.

Here is a picture of the cam installed in the breech casing.

Here are the frame rails and the L brackets to mount the frame to the breech casing.