Thread: Massive Steel Router v. Shapeoko

Default Massive Steel Router v. Shapeoko

I've wanted a CNC mill for a long time, but they cost a ton, so I have procrastinated. Recently, I saw a This Old Tony video series, in which he used a home-built CNC router to make side plates for a pasta machine. He also made other parts. The material was aluminum. I was impressed that he was able to get so much done with a router.

I'm thinking it would be neat to have a CNC router. I looked at the X Carve and the Shapeoko. It looks like the Shapeoko is a better machine, and it's not all that expensive.

Here's what I'm wondering: can I do good work in metal with a Shapeoko? I know it won't replace a mill, but it appears that a router can make a lot of useful items, and presumably it could produce things that could be finished more precisely on a manual mill.

Tony built a colossal machine with extremely heavy parts, and his router has a table that moves under the spindle. The moving table is 3/4" thick. It's very impressive, but I don't know why he needed all that mass or the complication of a moving table. Other routers weigh a lot less and have stationary tables with spindles that move across them in both directions.

Do I really need a thousand-pound router to do good work in aluminum, or would a Shapeoko do the job?
    Don't trigger me, bro!

Quote Originally Posted by stevehgraham View Post

Do I really need a thousand-pound router to do good work in aluminum, or would a Shapeoko do the job?
    https://youtu.be/b-yBVOiJ4dY?t=286

If you want a toy or hobby machine to play with that's all ok. I have a real CNC 4x4 Saturn 2 router ordered from Fine Line Automation and I ordered the NEMA 34 motor options. They are based in NC USA not Chinese. I am making money with my lasers and this is just an extension.

https://www.finelineautomation.com/t...hines/new-node
    Retired - Journeyman Refrigeration Pipefitter - Master Electrician - Fine Line Automation CNC 4x4 Router

What do you expect to have in that thing before you get it running? It appears to be nothing but a frame and gantry.

I'll post a link to a video of the machine Tony created. I don't understand why the table needs to move or why it has to be 3/4" steel.

Last edited by stevehgraham; 07-07-2018 at 06:10 PM.
    Don't trigger me, bro!

The gantry and frame are sold without motors or electronics because some people prefer to roll their own. I added on the complete plug and play NEMA 34 motors, wired and controller panel. ESS controller and Mach 3, drivers and all with stand I think around $7300 or so. Some assy required. You end up with a steel frame and gantry, rack and pinion X-Y ball screw on the Z. You buy your own router or spindle. I ended up with a Hitachi 2.25 Hp router motor. The Fine Line Automation is right up with Camaster for build quality and its made in USA.

Its a 51x51 inch work area. Free shipping via FedEx freight to your terminal.

No a massive steel table means lots of weight to move around, larger motors and really not practical as its way to slow. Commercial grade or heavy duty CNC routers can cut 3/4 inch plywood at 300 to 600 IPM and in one pass. That is what I expect mine to do.
    Last edited by wmgeorge; 08-05-2018 at 10:50 PM.
    Retired - Journeyman Refrigeration Pipefitter - Master Electrician - Fine Line Automation CNC 4x4 Router