Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 27

Thread: turning problem

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    san jose, ca. usa
    Posts
    740

    Default turning problem

    ok, so I am turning a shaft, 9 inches long on my old logan. between centers, the end closest to the head stock measures .515. the far end measures .505.
    I think the bed is worn near the head, and the apron is moving away from the work, does that sound right? and is there anything I can do about it?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Woodinville, WA
    Posts
    9,011

    Default

    Is your tail-stock perfectly in alignment? What do you measure if you take a light cut from a stiff piece of stock without tail-stock support?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    san jose, ca. usa
    Posts
    740

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lakeside53 View Post
    Is your tail-stock perfectly in alignment? What do you measure if you take a light cut from a stiff piece of stock without tail-stock support?
    I have checked the tailstock and adjusted it recently, it was off. It is as close as I can get it now.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Helsinki, Finland, Europe
    Posts
    2,582

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gambler View Post
    ok, so I am turning a shaft, 9 inches long on my old logan. between centers, the end closest to the head stock measures .515. the far end measures .505.

    and is there anything I can do about it?
    Easy: re-adjust tailstock so that both ends come out same diameter. (You still might get slight barrel/ huor-glass shape but it will be a lot smaller error)

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    5,754

    Default

    How did you adjust your TS ??? There are a few different methods.

    JL................

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    5,754

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MattiJ View Post
    Easy: re-adjust tailstock so that both ends come out same diameter. (You still might get slight barrel/ huor-glass shape but it will be a lot smaller error)
    If he has substantial wear in the bed he'll have to adjust his TS where ever he puts it. No real easy fix.

    JL...............

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Somerset UK
    Posts
    1,681

    Default

    I bought a test bar on ebay, made in India which has a MT2 at one end, centres both ends and is 11" long overall. It runs better than 0.0001" tir and has been very useful in getting the alignment and height of the tailstock corrected. Don't make the same mistake as me in expecting live centres to be spot on, but use dead centres for testing. I put a piece of 3/8" diameter bar in a collet and turned a 60 degree tip (using a chuck would be ok too), which must be true to the axis of the spindle as long as it is undisturbed. Try the alignment test with the tailstock quill retracted and also with it fully extended to see if there is a difference.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Clovis CA USA
    Posts
    335

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gambler View Post
    ok, so I am turning a shaft, 9 inches long on my old logan. between centers, the end closest to the head stock measures .515. the far end measures .505.
    I think the bed is worn near the head, and the apron is moving away from the work, does that sound right? and is there anything I can do about it?
    Even if lathe was new this happens on long bars
    This why the make follower rest so bar does not flex

    Dave

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk
    Last edited by smithdoor; 07-10-2018 at 12:02 PM.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Long Island, N.Y.
    Posts
    2,498

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smithdoor View Post
    Even if lathe was new this happens on long bars
    This why the make Fowler rest so bar does not flex

    Dave

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk
    I didn't know that Fowler made them. I always thought they were called follower rests or traveling steadies.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Clovis CA USA
    Posts
    335

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RichR View Post
    I didn't know that Fowler made them. I always thought they were called follower rests or traveling steadies.
    Phone struck again need to prof read before sending

    Dave

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •