Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: turning problem

Default turning problem

ok, so I am turning a shaft, 9 inches long on my old logan. between centers, the end closest to the head stock measures .515. the far end measures .505.
    I think the bed is worn near the head, and the apron is moving away from the work, does that sound right? and is there anything I can do about it?

Is your tail-stock perfectly in alignment? What do you measure if you take a light cut from a stiff piece of stock without tail-stock support?

Quote Originally Posted by lakeside53 View Post
    Is your tail-stock perfectly in alignment? What do you measure if you take a light cut from a stiff piece of stock without tail-stock support?
    I have checked the tailstock and adjusted it recently, it was off. It is as close as I can get it now.

Quote Originally Posted by gambler View Post
    ok, so I am turning a shaft, 9 inches long on my old logan. between centers, the end closest to the head stock measures .515. the far end measures .505.

and is there anything I can do about it?
    Easy: re-adjust tailstock so that both ends come out same diameter. (You still might get slight barrel/ huor-glass shape but it will be a lot smaller error)

How did you adjust your TS ??? There are a few different methods.

JL................

Quote Originally Posted by MattiJ View Post
    Easy: re-adjust tailstock so that both ends come out same diameter. (You still might get slight barrel/ huor-glass shape but it will be a lot smaller error)
    If he has substantial wear in the bed he'll have to adjust his TS where ever he puts it. No real easy fix.

JL...............

I bought a test bar on ebay, made in India which has a MT2 at one end, centres both ends and is 11" long overall. It runs better than 0.0001" tir and has been very useful in getting the alignment and height of the tailstock corrected. Don't make the same mistake as me in expecting live centres to be spot on, but use dead centres for testing. I put a piece of 3/8" diameter bar in a collet and turned a 60 degree tip (using a chuck would be ok too), which must be true to the axis of the spindle as long as it is undisturbed. Try the alignment test with the tailstock quill retracted and also with it fully extended to see if there is a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by gambler View Post
    I think the bed is worn near the head, and the apron is moving away from the work, does that sound right? and is there anything I can do about it?
    Even if lathe was new this happens on long bars
    This why the make follower rest so bar does not flex

Dave

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk
    Last edited by smithdoor; 07-10-2018 at 12:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by smithdoor View Post
    Even if lathe was new this happens on long bars
    This why the make Fowler rest so bar does not flex

Dave

I didn't know that Fowler made them. I always thought they were called follower rests or traveling steadies.

Quote Originally Posted by RichR View Post
    I didn't know that Fowler made them. I always thought they were called follower rests or traveling steadies.
    Phone struck again need to prof read before sending

Dave