Thread: Welding outdoors in bright sunshine - puddle visibility

Cool Welding outdoors in bright sunshine - puddle visibility

This is a crossover with every thread on welding helmets and hoods, but I've been having real trouble seeing the puddle when using MIG outdoors recently. Even in the shade I don't seem to be able to find a setting on the auto darkening helmet (generic ~30 helmet). In addition to finding a longer term solution to set up some moveable darkness, is it worth investing in a more expensive helmet? It's not always practical to set up a tent or tall curtain.

Try covering the back of your head and helmet. Light coming in from behind your head makes the weld very difficult to see. Not only the reflections inside the helmet but your eyes don't get used to the "Dark" after the very bright surroundings.

I'd agree with Norm, most likely light coming into the back of the hood. I sometimes have this issue even in my shop while using a more expensive autodark hood. I guess that's why some guys who weld out in the sun all the time like the pipeline workers sometimes use those "pancake" hoods, which block out the light to your eyes and also make you look a bit alien:

https://beginnerweldingguide.com/pancake-welding-hood/

Thanks fellas. The "pancake" hood looks like a good idea, and probably quite easy to make. In the mean time I think I'll put a strip of velcro across the top of my mask to attach a piece of material to. I suppose something non-flammable would be best but I'll see what I have.

I bought a couple yards of black Nomex on the bay to make mine.

See my post on LED lights. They WORK!

To block the light behind you get a harbor freight or other welding blanket, a large piece of leather, or even an old leather apron, and fashion a drape that attaches to the back of your helmet and drapes down over your shoulders.
    This will protect you light from behind you reflecting in the helmet and will protect your head from sparks while welding. Not to mention keeping the hot sun off your back.

Now one thing to remember about doing this, is don't ever weld with this setup in a location with no air flow or EVER even consider welding galvanized metal with it.
    It will catch the weld fumes and hold them in your mask.

I know I know, never weld galvanized.
    I know I shouldn't ,,, but I do from time to time and only outdoors, and only stick welding, and I take a lot of breaks and only exhale while going it.