Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OT: commie-puter had a stroke

Default OT: commie-puter had a stroke

Last week my computer died. It was sudden and painless, well not for me. Stroke or something like that, it just quit and wouldn't reboot.

So a few days ago I broke into the piggy bank for my rainy day money I hid from the wife and bought new parts for it. I don't buy off the shelf computers. Up and running again, still installing all my programs and setting it up the way I want but the biggest problem is, Wait for it... Windows 10. It work fine but what is with the black and white layout and after reading some scary articles on all the spyware I will be spending days shutting them off. Now I can hear you all laughing at me saying why did you do that, stick to 7 or 8 only a fool uses 10. Can't do it, after I got it put together I saw a notice that Microsnot is not going to support the latest gen microprocessors (which I have) using 7 and 8.

I did install an M.2 SSD with about 5 to 6 times the read speeds of a regular SSD. This varies with the type you get. It rips along now.
    Last edited by loose nut; 08-06-2018 at 07:04 PM.
    The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

The black and white layout could be just an option in the appearance settings that's referred to as "high contrast". On the blank startup screen right click for options and go to "Personalize" and look for the high contrast settings and be sure they are turned off.

Do you know if all the programs you run are compatible with Linux? I have Linux Mint set up on one of my machines and find it very stable, and more importantly, lacking in those surprises buried in the Win10 system.

I think you might have it backwards... Microsoft is dropping support for older processors..
    https://biztechmagazine.com/article/...DW000000162992

But I second linux... I got into Linux when I needed a machine control.. then started using in my day to day life.. have not looked back

Quote Originally Posted by skunkworks View Post

But I second linux... I got into Linux when I needed a machine control.. then started using in my day to day life.. have not looked back
    You obviously are OK running generic substitute programs for everything that is not offered for linux. Some of us do not have, or do not want to use, that option, due to investment in programs that we prefer over the generic versions.

I suppose there is the option of running a windows emulator, but that might get rather boring when using a multi-processor-compatible CAD or rendering program.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

If u can adapt to and use it, by all means go to Linux!! Mint's good, I like Peach!
    Microsoft has become as greedy and reliable as the Chinese crap all around now. (The latest from them are plans to charge u for "updates" to W10!)! and If ur still long-running XP they have done "things" to affect/slow your system....remember they got the back door to everything YOU do on YOUR computer !!! [:>(

Pay for update? More conspiracy theories!

Win10pro works really well. No issues and super reliable. Don't install "win10 home" if you want control.

In Pro just about everything you might be worried about the OS spying on you is simply turned off in settings. Takes minutes, not days. Bigger issue is the random crap built into applications and the many browsers and extensions.
    Last edited by lakeside53; 08-06-2018 at 10:03 PM.

Probably was just a loose nut.
    You can lead people to knowledge but you can't make them think.
    "Lead, follow, or get out of the way." George Patton
    "I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves".
    Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Juiceclone View Post
    If u can adapt to and use it, by all means go to Linux!! Mint's good, I like Peach!
    Microsoft has become as greedy and reliable as the Chinese crap all around now. (The latest from them are plans to charge u for "updates" to W10!)! and If ur still long-running XP they have done "things" to affect/slow your system....remember they got the back door to everything YOU do on YOUR computer !!! [:>(
    Speaking of a slow system...this summer my 10 1/2 year old computer with Vista started to get twitchy, slowing down, hanging up and doing that more and more frequently also. Yesterday I happened to be looking at my Resource Monitor and noticed Microsoft Security Essentials was eating up a huge amount of my CPU usage. I disabled it and now my computer is back to normal. Go figure! While I think MSE is a "good thing", at one time I didn't have it and everything worked just fine so I've decided to leave it disabled. No doubt "something" changed in my computer because I had MSE enabled for quite a long time with no related problems until recently. Unfortunately, my computer skills don't extend much farther than turning it on so the "why" shall remain a mystery to me.

Quote Originally Posted by skunkworks View Post
    I think you might have it backwards... Microsoft is dropping support for older processors..
    https://biztechmagazine.com/article/...DW000000162992

Actually Microsoft hasn't licensed chip makers to provide drivers for win 7/8 etc on the new processors, but last I read win 7 still runs fine on ryzen etc., but doesn't take full advantage of every feature.

It's easy to get rid of the win 10 'garbage' if you're willing to dig into the registry. (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \System \CurrentControlSet \Services). If you export the changes you've made, it's just a matter of clicking the .reg files to repeat it any time you re-install. Ccleaner and other programs also have uninstall utilities that get rid of some of it easily if you're not comfortable playing in the registry.

Quote Originally Posted by J Tiers View Post
    You obviously are OK running generic substitute programs for everything that is not offered for linux. Some of us do not have, or do not want to use, that option, due to investment in programs that we prefer over the generic versions.

I suppose there is the option of running a windows emulator, but that might get rather boring when using a multi-processor-compatible CAD or rendering program.
    I'm with Sam (Skunkworks), I switched to linux years back after using it for my first cnc machine control. I have one computer dedicated for Cad/Cam with windows 7 but thats all its used for.

A windows emulator is one way to get dual platform compatibility but a messy one. Why not have the best of both worlds and just set up the computer as a dual boot system? The dual boot option was right there when I installed linux on various computers, its a option on the install cd..