Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: OT: commie-puter had a stroke

Hmmmm.

Got rid of the Apple II years ago. Do have systems back to an SS-50 mainframe and terminal system, with both single and a multi-threaded processors that's about as far back as it goes. Might still have an SS-100 processor card somewhere.

Some of the old systems start to lose their EPROM contents, and become unreliable, not to mention the ancient disk systems that fail mechanically. Old ROMs are OK.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

TRS 80 Model One with the Expansion module, 16 or 32k memory and more important of all a disk drive!! I used a Model 33 teletype for my first printer.
    Retired - Journeyman Refrigeration Pipefitter - Master Electrician - Fine Line Automation 4x4 Router, MakerGear M2 3D printer- 20 Watt Ray Fine Galvo fiber laser, LightObject 40 watt co2 Laser Engraver

Quote Originally Posted by wmgeorge View Post
    TRS 80 Model One with the Expansion module, 16 or 32k memory and more important of all a disk drive!! I used a Model 33 teletype for my first printer.
    I did have a TRS 80 model III or model IIII that a friend gave me a long time ago but I ended up trashing the "trash 80" but only because I lost interest in it. Hard drives for old 8-bit systems was something that always gave me endless amounts of joy. Something about not having to constantly change out floppies was just so cool. I've tried to keep most of my old hard disk systems, including lots of external 50-pin SCSI units and of course, the Corvus systems that were ahead of their time with their own networking protocol. I remember having 8 apple IIs connected to one Corvus systems 20mb drive that I used to run an 8-line BBS system back in the late 80s.

Work hard play hard

Quote Originally Posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb View Post
    I used to run an 8-line BBS system back in the late 80s.
    Was it leet? Did you have spinning cursors? G-files? AE or Cat-fur? DDD?

Quote Originally Posted by Glug View Post
    Was it leet? Did you have spinning cursors? G-files? AE or Cat-fur? DDD?
    Of course I had a spinning cursor but too many people complained so I made it an option users could turn on/off. I started with one Micromodem ][ 300 baud modem for the Apple ][. Then I got a Hayes 1200 baud modem after saving for many months with my paper route. I used Ascii Express initially as my terminal program but then I soon wrote my own with X and Y modem support. Some friends had Apple Cats but I never did. I used to run The Trade Center for awhile before tony/Triton took it over as I was too busy cracking A2 software and a more centrally located BBS was needed for our couriers to upload/download to.
    Work hard play hard

I've got a massive collection of vintage computers. I am missing an Apple I in my collection through. I currently have 23 Apple II(e)s. 5 in my office closet, and 18 in a storage room downstairs.

Some people might call that a bit obsessed. Not judging.
    The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Quote Originally Posted by loose nut View Post
    Computer hoarding. Computers as the replacement investment to replace Bitcoin?

Now, if they were kept in a large copper box, I'd start to see a little different pattern here....

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

Quote Originally Posted by loose nut View Post
    I'm very obsessed with vintage Apple computers and especially vintage hard disk systems for personal computers.
    Work hard play hard

I'm very obsessed with vintage Apple computers and especially vintage hard disk systems for personal computers.
    Part of my vintage Mac collection

Work hard play hard

My old computer is starting to regularly give me the blue screen of death. I'm sure it's Microsoft punishing me for shutting down Microsoft's Security Essentials...