Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: O. T. Visiting the Big Apple....Any Tips?

Default O. T. Visiting the Big Apple....Any Tips?

My wife and I travel a lot but have never visited NYC. Been thinking about Flying in and spending a few days or so. I read years ago about flying to a nearby airport and taking a cab to the city. I'm guessing Uber has changed things a little bit but don't know much about the East coast or if they even allow Uber in NYC. I have heard that the cab group has a fair amount of clout there.

I'm looking for tips on what airport to use, favorite hotels to stay at, restaurants and any other things of interest. We travel a lot but mostly to the west. Chicago frequently, Vegas, L.A., Seattle, Phoenix and Tucson. Lots of travel out west but not much to the east.

Thanks for your help.

Brian
    OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Default New Yorker cnr 8th Ave and 34th St

I've stayed at the New Yorker a few times. Its a medium priced art deco hotel, located close to the subway and Penn Station, both have frequent services to AirTrain which connects to JFK, if you are travelling with luggage the Long Island Rail to Penn Station is the better bet. Connections to LaGuardia and Newark are not so convenient. Plenty of info on google about transport options.
    There is a good wiki article on the history of the New Yorker, Tesla lived there for the last years of his life.
    The New Yorker is 3 blocks away from the start of the High Line walk.

check out the midtown Hilton. Its a Hilton so decent enough, old and run down enough that prices are very reasonable given its location. Much of where you want to be in New York is a walk from there. Subway to d/t if you want to see the statue, wall st, China town, WTC memorial and so on. With a couple of days, I'd walk and look as opposed to taking the tour and paying for many things, i.e. the Statue is nice to look at from Manhattan, but there is too much else you want to see to spend the better part of day fairying over to it. Free stuff you have walk through; NYC public library main branch, Grand Central Station, St Patricks cathedral, Central park. End up in the Plaza's Oak Room for a drink and imagine the days when you might have seen Frank there. There are too many incredible restaurants to choose from, but if you really want a NY thing, I hear the Rainbow Room has reopened. Take lots of money.

The other tip is for shows, there is a kiosk kind of in the middle of the intersection at times square that sells deep discounted broadway shows for that evening. They figured out optimization. You should be there to line up before its opening time (forget what it is), but the lines moves quickly and if you're after a good but long running show they seem to always have great tickets, for 1/4 or 1/2 of the face price iirc. If there is something you have to see though, it carries the risk of it not being available

its such an amazing city you could do that trip every two months forever and not be bored
    Last edited by Mcgyver; 08-09-2018 at 09:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bborr01 View Post
    O. T. Visiting the Big Apple....Any Tips?
    Bring a de-wormer?
    Work hard play hard

Avoid it at all costs...............

If you do go be prepared to ..... pay outrageous fees and prices for everything. Fines for breathing their polluted air. Being recorded everywhere you go. Harassed by homeless and panhandler. Possibly mugged or shot.
    Why the hell would anyone want to go there is beyond me.

JL............

Keep a putty knife in your back pocket. You'll need that to scrap used gum off the bottom of your shoes. I don't know what it is with gum chewers in the northeast but when they're through with it, they just spit it out where ever they are. Before the Atlantic City boardwalk was blown away by a hurricane, there wasn't one square inch of it not covered with gum. Don't know what the new one looks like by now but probably the same. The sidewalks are the same.

If you plan on going up inside the statue of liberty threw her bowels and up to her crown, then you'll need to purchase tickets several months in advance. Go to the statue of liberty website for more info. I brought my son there last year and was disappointed that we couldn't buy crown tickets on-site.
    Work hard play hard

Iv seen enough of NYC on TV to know I would not like it - along with just about any other big city out there,

only real tip I could give you is carry your wallet in your front pocket...

I was shocked, absolutely shocked at the reasonable prices at most of the small eateries there. Hundreds of places to choose from to eat within a few minutes walk- all competing against each other for business. Prices not much higher than what you find in a one-horse town with two restaurants in Nowheresville USA where there is no competition.
    -Roland
    Golf Course Mechanic

'58 Colchester Chipmaster
    Marushin Vertical Mill (Need B&S #9 tooling)
    Keller Hacksaw

Quote Originally Posted by bob ward View Post
    I've stayed at the New Yorker a few times. Its a medium priced art deco hotel, located close to the subway and Penn Station, both have frequent services to AirTrain which connects to JFK, if you are travelling with luggage the Long Island Rail to Penn Station is the better bet. Connections to LaGuardia and Newark are not so convenient. Plenty of info on google about transport options.
    There is a good wiki article on the history of the New Yorker, Tesla lived there for the last years of his life.
    The New Yorker is 3 blocks away from the start of the High Line walk.
    I'll check out the New Yorker Bob. Thanks for the tip.
    OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC